Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Synchronizing pulsed LEDs to webcam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom07

Hello Electro Tech forum!

I am currently looking for a way on how I can synchronize a webcam and a light source.

I want every second picture the webcam takes to be with the lighting on, every other picture with the lighting off.
The idea is to then compare these two pictures to filter out any effects of ambient lighting or unwanted light sources.

The problem is how to either trigger the webcam to take the next picture, or how to read the signal that does trigger the camera and then synchronize the light source to it.

I do need the camera feed to be pretty much in realtime (i.e. > 60fps or 30 pairs).

Does anybody have an idea on how to interface a microcontroller with a webcam to realize such a setup?

I'd appreciate your input very much!

Have a great day! :)
Tom

I think you should sync the light source to the webcam, it'd be easier by far. Probe around in the electronics of the web cam for a bit and you should be able to find a signal line somewhere that coincides with the actual moment a frame is captured (this is up to you) Then you would just sync your light source to this signal. Keep in mind, this light source is going to have to be very hard on, and off it could only be done with an LED based light source.

Thanks for your input Sceadwian!

I found a great webpage covering the topic of webcam synchronization: Cogville

Hopefully this will get me started in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back