Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sync Signal for YCbCr video

Status
Not open for further replies.

FusionITR

I know that the luma (Y) sigal carries the sync signal, but what ratio of the sync signal is in the Y signal?

Ive seen schematics that indicate that the Y signal is 0.7Vpp + 0.3Vpp of sync, but I have not seen this documented anywhere. Can anybody confirm this or point me to any documentation they can find?

Thanks.

You are correct that the Y signal is 0.7Vpp + 0.3Vpp of sync and hopefully the photos below show the proof you ask for:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Thanks a lot! Where did you get that information and those graphs?

I'm looking for documentation that describes, in detail, all information about R G B/Sync video standard, with graphs like the ones above. Also information about NTSC composite and S-Video.

Hmm, ok given that I have a 5V TTL composite sync, and Y requires 0.299R + 0.587G + 0.114B, can I just voltage divide the 5V TTL sync down to 1V then -0.3Sync from the equation from Y?

I hope that question made sense.

I don't fully understand that 5v "composite" sync thing. Composite refers to the entire video signal and ALL of its components. When you reduce sync levels, you reduce "lock" or stabilization of video on a tv/monitor. It sounds plausible what you suggest but verification of the required levels may need the use of a waveform monitor and vectorscope to verify those levels are indeed accurate. You can do the math and theory to select component values, but tolerances may affect the overall outcome.

HiTech said:
I don't fully understand that 5v "composite" sync thing. Composite refers to the entire video signal and ALL of its components. When you reduce sync levels, you reduce "lock" or stabilization of video on a tv/monitor. It sounds plausible what you suggest but verification of the required levels may need the use of a waveform monitor and vectorscope to verify those levels are indeed accurate. You can do the math and theory to select component values, but tolerances may affect the overall outcome.

Composite Video and Composite Sync are two different things.

Theres different types of video stablization, Horizontal/Vertical Sync, Composite Sync (combined H/V Sync in one signal), and Sync on Green.

**broken link removed**

Composite sync
A signal combining horizontal and vertical sync pulses, and equalizing pulses, with no picture information and no signal reference level. Composite sync is sometimes referred to as "C", "S" (as in RGBS) or "HV" (as on some connector panels).

Composite Sync is 5V TTL driven, unlike Sync on Green type of Sync, which is -0.3Vp after a green scanline is drawn (or in the case of component video, the Y).

Composite Video, as you know, is luma, chroma, and sync all combined in one signal (the sync type in composite video is a Sync on Green type sync).

So as you see, Composite Sync and Composite Video are two very different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back