Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes there is. If you're more specific about the desired function (voltage, frequency, power, load) we might be able to suggest sources.

If the input is the ac mains supply, what you need is a transformer and a rectifier, not a switching power supply.
A 10Kva transformer is going to be quite a large and expensive beast.

Hello,
Ok if it is a beast but can solve my problem and what does it cost. Please also could you give me other technical details. Thanks

I suggest you get a quote from a local transformer winding company.
They will design you a suitable transformer, plus a suitable filter choke, for any required dc voltage and current.

Transformers of that size are always made to order.

If the input is the ac mains supply, what you need is a transformer and a rectifier, not a switching power supply.
A 10Kva transformer is going to be quite a large and expensive beast.

Sorry, I disagree, a switching power supply is a better solution than a huge transformer. The chances are it'll need to be regulated and a transformer will need a regulator on the output.

Lots can be found using Google
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/04/pathfinder10000.pdf
**broken link removed**
http://www.dynahitech.com/pdf/81400ERC.pdf
-48VDC/50A/200A/19`` Shelf Power Supply

The Desired output is DC 48Volts 200Amps and Input is AC 230V at 50 Hz

This would go better if you could list your application the power supply is needed for. Also if your 230 volt mains are single or three phase. Is regulation required? Most important, what is the load going to be?

Ron

Hi Ron,
Ok the Power Supply is required to convert the AC to DC which is connected to a DC Motor to drive the Load. The Motor requirement is DC48Volts at 200A. This is running non-stop. So the required AC input has to be low in order to save Power.

Thanks

Buying a high current DC power supply (often called a rectifier), such as one of the units I linked to, is the best way of doing what you want.

A good PSU will have have an efficiency of >90% and a power factor of >0.98 so the input current will be 46.8A with an input voltage of 230V at full load.

For what building a 48 volt 200 amp power supply will cost or just purchasing one you probably would be better off just buying a replacement motor that runs on line voltage.

What are you using a 48 volt 200 amp motor on that requires continuous duty running?

Hi Ron,
Ok the Power Supply is required to convert the AC to DC which is connected to a DC Motor to drive the Load. The Motor requirement is DC48Volts at 200A. This is running non-stop. So the required AC input has to be low in order to save Power.

Thanks

Saving power really won't figure into things much. You have a very large DC motor. Since it is a motor I doubt line regulation is much of a factor. What you want is basically a large brute rectifier as Hero mentions and was mentioned earlier.

If you have 3 phase power available rectification becomes easier with less mains current required than if on single phase.

I would suggest suppliers but I am guessing you are not in the US. What you need won't be cheap but likely not too, too expensive.

Ron

For what building a 48 volt 200 amp power supply will cost or just purchasing one you probably would be better off just buying a replacement motor that runs on line voltage.
I agree but maybe it's for a safety reason?

Perhaps he's not allowed to use a lethal voltage so he's using the highest non-lethal voltage he possibly can?

EDIT:
You can use a 10kW, 50V transformer with a rectifier and no filter capacitor.

50VAC is still a lot more dangerous than 50VDC, before we get into a long discussion consider that the peak voltage is 70V. 50VDC will hardly shock you (you might feel a tingle if you have sweaty hands), 50VAC is enough to give you a nasty shock.

Last edited:
I agree but maybe it's for a safety reason?

Perhaps he's not allowed to use a lethal voltage so he's using the highest non-lethal voltage he possibly can?

All I know is that it has to be one serious and interesting motor. I have seen some interesting and big motors but never a 48 VDC 200 Amp flavor. :)

Ron

It sounds like it's from a large golf or beach buggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back