Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching Power Supply - 3.3v / 5.0v / 6.0v @ 120+ AMPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oeginc

I posted this question quite some time ago and got some ideas but I fell short on finding a way to implement them, also some of my requirements have changed slightly since then.

I work on many different robotics type projects, and there are many more I'm interested in but would like to create a single PCB that I can add to any project to provide me the power I might need. The idea here is to come up with a good working design, board it, then make like 10-15 so whenever I need power I just grab a power board and drop it in my project.

Exactly what I am looking for is this:

* Input voltage will be a LiPo battery pack (or packs) around 14-24 VDC with 125 AMP continuous discharge capacity (250A burst).

* I need 3 outputs: +3.3 VDC @ 3A and +5.0 VDC @ 3A for Microcontrollers, and a +6.0 VDC @ 120A for motors/servos/etc.

* I would like them to be regulated (+/- 0.5 volts or so).

* Loads will vary significantly over time (driving large servos with high current draw).

* I expect maximum current draw to be on the order of around 120 AMPS max (each servo can draw ~2.0 AMPS while running and ~5.21 AMPS at stall, we typically run around 24 servos, although it's unlikely that they ALL will hit stall simultaneously)

* I need the circuit to be very efficient, drawing these kinds of loads I need the batteries to last as long as possible.

I've been toying with the idea of using LM2576-3.3's and LM2576-5.0's for the 3.3vdc & 5.0vdc power, but I have no idea what's out there for supplying 120A @ 6.0vdc... Also, is there a better/cheaper way to do switching regulated power than the LM2576's? I saw MikeMI (I believe from here) post something at 2-transistor Black Regulator that didn't use the LM2576, but I didn't see any specifications on how many amps it was capable of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if you could just point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Start of the power supply

Here is a schematic I started on before I really knew what I wanted. ;)

Attachments

• SMDS PS.png
    SMDS PS.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 178
The easiest solution is a few of these:-

Block | Power Supplies | Power Supplies, Inverters, DC/DC Converters & Generators | DC/DC Converters - Non Isolated | Switching Regulators |SDC60/15-20

With that sort of power, it is quite tricky especially if you haven't made a switch mode power supply before.

It would be a good idea to make sure that the switch mode power supplies are phased so that they do not all switch at the same time. Imagine a car engine where all 4 cylinders fired at the same time: there would be a vibration problem. The regulators in computers that supply the CPU are phased like that.

The LM25576 allows a synchronisation connection to control phasing.

The LM2576 that you suggested is available with preset outputs at 3.3 V, 5 V and 12 V. What you want is the adjustable version that lets you use two resistors to set a wide range of output voltages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back