Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching Power Supply 0-10A 0-25V

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think a filter capacitor does? Just sit there in the circuit to look good? =-) They absorb energy and feed it to the circuit during the low portion of the AC cycle. If you have a lot of ripple or it's a single phase AC mains supply there's quiet a bit of current going through the filter caps.

yeah i knew that... but where is the current actually lost? the capactior stores charge during the low part of the AC then feeds it back during the high part...

Capacitors aren't perfect. They have an ESR rating, they heat like any physical object does when current passes through it.

also, smanches, i had a look at pwm using a 555 and i understand it somewhat... but its hard to see exactly how it is varried in the curcuit... something to do with the op-amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back