Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching power sources for USB PIC device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy_123

Need some advice:
I have PIC18F2450 based USB device that has dual power: USB and external power with TL2575-05 regulator.
Device should be able to run if at least one source present (USB is not plugged in all the time).
For now I use two diodes to prevent USB backfeeding, but forward voltage drop 0.8V over diode brings PIC to the lower spec margin of 4.2V.

I am exploring the idea to use Enable signal on TL2575 to shut it down when USB is active, but not sure if this is a good idea.

So, any ideas how to handle it?
Needs to be something simple and cheap...

Yes, Schottky diodes have much lower forward voltage drop, but they have significant leakage current and this may create problems with beckfeeding PC USB port that is not allowed under USB specification

For External PS I can boost voltage by adding resistor to the feedback circuit of TL2575. But USB voltage still will be low.

Edit - I added resistor - now external voltage is OK, still looking for a diode with low voltage drop and low leakage current for USB...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back