Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching on circuit by PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

geraldh

Hello again

Now i have got a huge problam. I want to design a circuit with a bulb connected to it. then it will be connected to my computer through the serial port and I will write a program in visual basic to switch on and switch off the bulb. Now I have a problem do i need to write code on the hardware also, cause I dont know any thing about hardwhere.

Please help.

I supose there're some instruction that let you send a byte to a defined port. At least, in parallel control, what you do is use a instrcution like

outb( Adress, Byte)
or something like that.

Do you mean this?

You don't have to write any hardware code for a simple turning on/off of a bulb. But u will need a decoding circuit to decode the serial port output. This although dificult to do without a UART but for simple thing like that can be done but still the circuit will be complicated not worth for just turning on/off a bulb. Better suggestion is to use a parallel port.

What I wanted to do. I,ve got a see through computer with a light inside of it. Now that is what I want to turn on and off.

If just want to switch on/off, using Parallel port, just need to connect one line output to a very simple switch circuit. An aporpiate transistor, resistor and a diode may do the task. there're lots of references in internet. By sending high/low output to the selected parallel port line, you drive the transistor ON/OFF.

Is that what you're asking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back