Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching MOSFET choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know what power limits of the audio being passed are. Limits of this unit are 70W into an inductive load.

Assuming appropriate drivers for interfacing the PIC to the MOSFET, then yes.

I think I'd heat sink it REAL well...

Don't know what power limits of the audio being passed are. Limits of this unit are 70W into an inductive load.

Assuming appropriate drivers for interfacing the PIC to the MOSFET, then yes.

I think I'd heat sink it REAL well...

I'll be passing a guitar signal through it. Any issues?

Now that I think about it (there's a novel thought), I may have mis-spoke.

The STB36NF06L is an avalanche device, i.e., it really has only two states: Fully OFF or Fully ON so as to drive, say, a relay.

In other words, once the gate sees 1 Volt or more (like a square wave) in conducts at MAX.

Not so good for audio.

Now that I think about it (there's a novel thought), I may have mis-spoke.

The STB36NF06L is an avalanche device, i.e., it really has only two states: Fully OFF or Fully ON so as to drive, say, a relay.

In other words, once the gate sees 1 Volt or more (like a square wave) in conducts at MAX.

Not so good for audio.
You're way over your head here, cowboy. "Avalanche rated" refers to the transistor's ability to survive drain-to-source breakdown, not to its switching characteristics. The STB36NF06L is just an ordinary MOSFET in all other respects.

Luke, are you switching the guitar signal into a speaker, or into something like a preamp? In other words, what is the load on the switch?

Last edited:
Use an Audio switch. Thay make them in ICs just for switching Audio.

Last edited:
If you are switching the preamp one of these little guys is what you are after. There is a newer better part than the 4066, but I can't remember the #.

Luke, are you switching the guitar signal into a speaker, or into something like a preamp? In other words, what is the load on the switch?
I'll be switching the input of a guitar signal into different outputs for various effects pedals which lead to an amp.

Use an Audio switch. Thay make them in ICs just for switching Audio.
I've never heard of these. :O Care to elaborate? I can't find decent resources on it.

Are you switching the output of your amp or the input?
I'll be switching the input of a guitar signal into different outputs for various effects pedals which lead to an amp.

Some from Maxim
**broken link removed**
Google "audio switch chip"

Last edited:
The guitar output level is typically in the range 100mV-1V, so most FETs should be able to handle it. One problem to be overcome is switching the audio without inducing noise, e.g. clicks due to DC level changes.

You're way over your head here, cowboy. "Avalanche rated" refers to the transistor's ability to survive drain-to-source breakdown, not to its switching characteristics. The STB36NF06L is just an ordinary MOSFET in all other respects.

I just read a PM that apparently had been in my in box for a month.
Cowboybob, I apologize for being so blunt in the quoted post. Your post did need to be corrected, but I could have done it without being rude.
I'm sorry.:eek:

Thank you, Ron. I appreciate it.

And it did need to be corrected. I thank you for that as well.

Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back