Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching function

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Forum Members,
Have a question about a switching function,

Have a line stage with gain 14 ×,
And a buffer having a gain of 4 × '

Now I install them both in my new preamp, which I would want the ability to switch between line stage and the buffer, with switches or relays should be possible., Schedules attached to it some more visual.
But the problem arises when there is a CD listening via the Buffer is the volume control much more open when it is in the line stage listening.

In order to switch from Buffer to Line Trap where the gain is much higher of 14 ×, when the volume control is not settled down when switching without adaptation of the volume, there is damage to the speakers.

Is there anything to invent something so that you are warned if the line stage is transferred switches, or there is a blockade present when the volume control is open.

I wonder if there are ideas.

Sincerely,

Pim

Attachments

• schakelaar Lijntrap Buffer 23 juni 2015.pdf
    20.8 KB · Views: 136
What would you like to do?

Soft Switch audio without glitches?
Limit Audio to prevent speaker damage?
Suppress audio if signal is excessive?
Alert Operator before switching?

Anything can be monitored and control at some expense. Depends what is necessary.
WHich approach do you prefer? What is your design budget?

It seems to me the most beautiful when the audio signal is not touched, preferably as simple as possible just to make sure that the power amplifiers do not suddenly get a lot of noise level.
If I switch between Buffer and line stage I want something I warned that the volume control too far open.
What is your design budget you ask, It depends on what you have for ideas?.

Greeting,

Pim

My idea was behind the volume control to set up a circuit that dedecteerd whether the signal is high or low, but that should sit on the signal line.

The question is whether that is heard when you make something to the signal.

Sincerely,

Pim

Last edited:
I worked with a huge excellent intercom system that multiplexed 12 channels of audio onto each of its paths. To prevent switching noises and crosstalk it muted a sample of audio, switched it on or off the path then unmuted it.
My new hearing aids have a remote controlled volume control and a very sensitive mode selected by a button on either hearing aid. To prevent excessive levels its volume always goes to the default mid position whenever a mode is switched.

Radio and TV stations had a "sound man" who adjusted the levels. Today the sound man has been replaced by a compressor circuit that destroys the dynamic sounds of music and makes voices sound funny. If a loud sound suddenly appears then the compressor suddenly turns down the levels then slowly brings them back up to normal but then a lot of audio was muted. If the input audio is low then an automatic volume control circuit amplifies it up to normal but if the input level suddenly becomes normal then the compressor causes massive distortion for a moment as it reduces the amplified level.

Hallo Audioguru,
That is a very expanded system you designed it yourself ?.
Seems to me for my application to go too far.
Have a design created what works with relay, I bring the line stage via a potentiometer to the level of the buffer, so that I can switch without danger, I want the line amplifier to the level gain of the normal 14 × than I can separate switching through a relay which is in idle mode when you turn on the preamplifier.

Greeting,
Pim

Attachments

• ScreenShot3090.pdf
    75 KB · Views: 131
  • ScreenShot3091.pdf
    75.4 KB · Views: 113
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back