Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching Constant-Current Source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianG

I am working on a project (NiMH battery charger) which requires a constant current of 1.4A. But no matter what design I look at, there seems to be a lot of heat generated. This project is a portable device so size (and therefore heatsink area) is at a premium.

An LM317T configured as a CC source requires at least 2v dropout on the regulator itself, with another 1.25v on the program-current resistor. 3.25V @ 1.4A is over 4.5 watts.

A PNP configured as a CC source can be made to have a bit lower dissipation, but there is still quite a bit of heat.

The circuit needs to be powered from a 5-6v source. The current source has to be on the rail side of the circuit (not the ground side - hence the PNP transistor requirement).

And even if I can overcome the high dropout issue, the load resistance can fluctuate enough to where heat is still a problem.

When I looked at the LM317T datasheet, I saw some application hints for low-cost (and size) switching voltage regulators. Can a similar scheme be used to create a switching current source?

Last edited:
Yes, you can use a switching regulator to be a constant current source. If you Google "constant current switching regulator" you'll come up with numerous hits.

Thanks for answering guys!

I read through those links and not sure if I understand them fully or can use them. Some requirement bullet points:

- The current source circuit has to be "on top" of the load, so hooked directly to the supply. Page 7 of the DS2714 datasheet should show why.

- With a 5v supply, the highest battery (being charged) voltage of 1.65v, and the Vce_sat of the switching transistors (again on page 7 of the link, but not using those exact PNPs) of ~0.1v, I have a minimum voltage differential of 3.25v to work with. When a weak cell (~1.2v) is inserted, the differential goes up to 3.7v.

Another issue: From the little I know about SM regulators, parts placement is VERY important to avoid induced voltages in the wrong places. If I use any of these projects, I would be etching my own PCB, which I have done exactly once about 15 years ago using RadioShack stuff (masks and pen to make the traces).

As I was doing some more searching, I came across this (scroll to the end). I happen to have a few completed PCBs using a version of the main IC, but set up to be a voltage regulator. Adding the additional sense resistor, two Opamps, and the other support components to the feeback loop would be fairly easy (I think).

I was hoping to use an LM317T somehow and just add the coil, diode, and a few other support components. I guess this is what I get for jumping into something a little more than I can handle. :eek:

Did you notice the need for a -15V supply in the EDN circuit?

So you need use high-side current sensing because one end of the load is grounded?

Did you notice the need for a -15V supply in the EDN circuit?

Yeah, I saw that. Current requirements are very low for that so an itty bitty transformer could be used. I'm not even saying I would use this scheme, it was just something I came across and looked do-able.

But to be honest, I don't know why simply hooking the feedback line directly to the load-side of the sense resistor won't work. The output voltage will rise as needed to develop Vref across the sense resistor. With a Vref of 1.237v, a 0.88Ω resistor would be needed for my required 1.4A. Yeah, 1.7w will be generated on the resistor, but that's a lot better than over 4.5w total or more with a linear design. So, if I want less voltage on the resistor (and less heat), I could use the addition of the op-amps, but if I value simplicity, I can still go with what I described at the cost of heat (just not nearly as much). I have a few similar ICs at home I can play with to see if it will work.

So you need use high-side current sensing because one end of the load is grounded?

Pretty much (I think). The way I see it, the DS2714 reads the cell voltages with reference to ground. If I use a current sink (instead of a CC source), it will see the cells as way more than the max of 1.65v. To get around this using a CC sink, I'd have to reference the IC's and cell ground at the same point "above" the CC sink. And that would mess with the 5v line coming into the chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back