Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching A1/A2 on a AC contactor using DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmaf

Will feeding the contactor's A1-A2 solenoid with DC damage the coil? Must I use a lower/higher voltage than the nominal AC? Thanks very much for any pointers.

It depends on the core of the contactor, some can operate with ac or dc.
If its a ac only coil and you drive it with dc for long periods you could burn it out.
Should say on the contactor if its ac or dc.
Whats the application, maybe we can help in other ways.

From experience the coil will work with DC but at a much lower voltage. It will get too hat with DC at the same voltage.
I used a variable transformer to find that the coil, rated at 120VAC, operated down to 70VAC (slow and poor).
Then using a variable DC supply I found the same [slow and poor] point and increased to a good point with about the same heating of the coil.
You know the contactor was not designed for this!
I just tried a medium sized relay and the coil appears to have the same pull in strength at 1/2 voltage DC.
Your results may very and is not guaranteed.

I think Ron is trying to tell that the contactor was not designed for this! :) Also the armature may become magnetized to some point and hold the contactor in after power is removed.

Yes, there are 2 kinds of core material for ac contactors, some are laminated (big ones) and some are just solid, sometimes with a shunt attached.
Remenance (magnetisation) as kinarfi says might also mess things up.

Thanks guys.

I just had this insight: maybe a contactor was not made for this!!!!

It isn't an important project, I have some contactors lying around I thought I'd use as heavy duty relays. Thanks again for the valuable information!

I understand contactors are pricey.
You might still be able to use them, switch ac with your dc signal using a small control relay and use that for the contactors coil, small control relays are a fraction of the cost.

I understand contactors are pricey.
You might still be able to use them, switch ac with your dc signal using a small control relay and use that for the contactors coil, small control relays are a fraction of the cost.

That's the solution right there! Thanks so much for the idea, I honestly had not thought of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back