Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching a 11kV using a relays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssembo

I would like to switch circuit breakers operating a 11kV using a relay. I would like to provide the switching signal from a 110V powered PLC equipment. I surpose the relay will hav to be 110V also but my worry is how?

I know of switching a 12V relay using an NPN transistor but i gues it can't be used for 11kV AC.

Please help me on that.

You first need to find a relay rated to switch the required voltage and current (which presumably will be LARGE and a LOT of money?). Then find what voltage it's coil uses, and use a smaller relay to switch the voltage to that.

You need a relay rated to switch 11KV, which is a specialized type of relay. Do you have know where to buy such a device? If not I suggest a search.

In the system i want to talk about, there are switching relays already in place. Just need a way of switching these relays with the signals from my 110V programmable logic controller (PLC) equipment.

Thanks

So you have the 11kV relays. good.
You want to switch them form 110V (AC or DC ?????)
WE NEED MORE INFORMATION!
Part number on 11kV relay. What is its coil voltage AC or DC.

Ok you have 110vac to drive your relay. I do not know what it takes to drive your relay. Untill you give us a part number or read on the side of the realy so we knows that it takes, we can not help.

WHAT IS THE COIL VOLTAGE NEEDED TO DRIVE YOUR 11KV RELAY?
If it is 24VAC then.............
If it is 12VDC then.............
If it is 110VAC then...........

Your relay needs_____ volts (AC or DC?? pick one) at _______mAmps. Fill in the blanks.

Why can't you guys just read? He (the O.P., assuming it's a guy) said "i want to use signals from a 110VAC PLC". So it's a 110 volt relay, presumably.

Sheesh.

We can read - perhaps you can't :D

He's (presumably?) got 110V out of his PLC, but has no idea what the 11KV relays need.

Can't even assume that. The 5 PLCs sitting next to me, not a one has 110VAC out or even available on any of the I/O modules. But all 5 are plugged in to the wall outlet.

It is now all clear.
Ssembo does not know what he has.
We dont know what Ssembo has.
The PLC might plug into the wall.
The PLC might/might-not output 110VAC.
The big relay is totally a mistory.

Normally it takes only one missing piece of information to get a wrong answer.
I am 43.7% sure that all the informatin is incorrect, 89.25% that most all is wrong, 100% that pieces are missing. I do know I can't type or spell with #^%$&*^%.

It is now all clear.
Ssembo does not know what he has.
We dont know what Ssembo has.
The PLC might plug into the wall.
The PLC might/might-not output 110VAC.
The big relay is totally a mistory.

Normally it takes only one missing piece of information to get a wrong answer.
I am 43.7% sure that all the informatin is incorrect, 89.25% that most all is wrong, 100% that pieces are missing. I do know I can't type or spell with #^%$&*^%.

...and yet, the OP is playing with an 11KV switching system...why would someone who is asking such a fairly "basic" question be allowed to come within 100 feet of such a device? That's a situation with "accidental electrocution" nearly written all over it. I just don't understand how someone gets into such a situation, with limited knowledge, but then decides "yeah, I can do this" - as if the system will be forgiving if they make a mistake. It certainly has the ring of the "Dunning-Kruger effect"...

...and yet, the OP is playing with an 11KV switching system...why would someone who is asking such a fairly "basic" question be allowed to come within 100 feet of such a device? That's a situation with "accidental electrocution" nearly written all over it. I just don't understand how someone gets into such a situation, with limited knowledge, but then decides "yeah, I can do this" - as if the system will be forgiving if they make a mistake. It certainly has the ring of the "Dunning-Kruger effect"...

And the reason we have not heard back......he got into the 11kv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back