Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switching 2 pumps without using a alternating relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtg2587

trying to draw a diagram for a lift station that has 2 pumps and i need the pumps to alternate but must construct the drawing without using a alternating relay this is for a class project any help would be awesome thanks

You can use power transistors (BJT or FET) as switches for DC pumps, or triacs for switching AC pumps. A flip-flop etc can provide alternating control.

This lift station is going to be controlled by a master control relay switch,2 hand off auto switches and 4 discrete float switches (off, lead, lag, and high level). Float switches are going to control two pump motors. Each motor will have 2 red lights for running and 2 green lights for stopped. The lead motor typically can keep up with the water influent flow, so i need to implement a alternating control circuit so both motors maintain about the same run time. This must be accomplished with out an alternating relay have to construct the logic using only relays.

Presumably you have three states: OFF, Pump1, and Pump2. You need two "relays" (contactors) to switch the individual pumps on-off anyway. Why not do the alternating logic on the coil side of the final contactors?

If you are asking what to use in lieu of contactors, then look at SSRs (Solid State Relays) rated for motor starting service.

If it was me I would just use a simple timer and a DPDT relay to flip flop the pumps on signals going to their contactors every 24 hours. If wired right when ever the system calls for the second pump to come on it should automatically do so with which ever pump that is not presently running.

One off the shelf 24 hour timer and one DPDT relay. It doesn't get any simpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back