Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switch status for embedded system

Status
Not open for further replies.

csdude

Hello,

I have a low power embedded system that can read from a serial port.

I need 'something to read the status (pressed or not) of a micro switch (9 of them) with. I can use a serial port or usb port to do that with.
Any suggestions for something simple, small I can get of the shelf ?

thanks,

Ron

I'm not clear if the "low power embedded system" is reading the microswitches, or if they are being read by a PC?

Hello Mike,

the embedded system is pretty much a pc running a linux kernel. (I can write the software for reading the port myself)

I would like to read the 'status', to see if the micro switch was pressed.
I am looking around if I can find a small board that I can hook up the switches to and that I can simply see what switch was pressed.

thanks for your reply!

Ron

I was going to suggest a parallel printer port. They usually have about a dozen pins that can be read as inputs and about a dozen that can be outputs; some are bidirectional.

I buy up old DOS-only laptops that have parallel ports to use as controllers for a variety of projects, including data loggers, battery testers, etc. I have QuickBasic 4.5, which talks directly to the PP using the INP and OUT calls...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back