Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switch noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a schematic for a little project I wanna work on and basically it's just a TON of switches. It will contain 10 DPDT (Or 4DPDT and 6SPDT but SPDT are harder to find in the form I want) and 24 tactile switches.

So, with this amount of switches, I was wondering if there would be any significant noise produced by the switches? It'll be used to carry a musical signal so I want to try keep noise out of the circuit.

You really need to post a schematic with a detailed explanation of the audio you are switching and the audio levels. All switches (just about) produce some noise. Some switches are better suited for certain applications than others for the same app which would explain why there are so many switches out there. Switches have data sheets and you may want to read them. A schematic?

Ron

Last edited:
Okay, well I will be plugging a guitar into the input and the output will lead to an amplifier.

The schematic below is what it will look like except with 6 more DPDT/SPDT switches that will just lead to the beginning of the first 6 SPST switches and also bypass straight to the output.

**broken link removed**

As drawn all the LEDs are always on but here nor there. Just use good quality switches. You may get some noise when they are actually switched but not being a musician I can't say how it would effect the actual audio. Then too, not being a musician I am not sure what the whole point is as drawn.

Ron

Ahh, very silly mistake. As it's drawn there is no purpose as this was just the outline. But this is the bit I was worried about.

most of theese switches are unlikely to be used while the instrument is actualy playing are they?

Last edited:
No, just 1 of the DPDT switches and up to 6 of the SPST switches at any one time.
So the diagram is not the real thing? what's the point of the paralleled spdt switches? if any combination are on (in a given bank), the result is the same.

As for switch noise, you can reduce the 'pop' (caused by a voltage on the coupling capacitor) when turning a switch on by connecting a resistor between the output and the reference (the signal return wire).

Regarding noise during a slow switch (a 'scratching' type noise), you can either get switches that switch quickly to reduce the duration of the noise, or use an electronic solution (e.g. an analogue switch IC with debouncing on the control lines) to remove the noise.

I guess I posted a reply on a different website about using switches with gold-plated contacts.

Per AG, use gold.

Ron

If said it before...Do not use togle switches. Use slide switches with self-cleaning contacts or relays suitable for low-level signals (bifurcated contacts) or go electronic. E

Switches, relay contacts and connectors are made with gold plating to switch low level AC signals (audio) because they do not corrode like high current silver contacts do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back