Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switch needed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

narc sleepr

Im a relative noob to electronics, though I have experience with home and car audio, so I can solder and stuff, and I can handle wire to some degree.

Im installing an amplifier in my truck, and am using the stock head unit.

the 12 volt line that is suppost to act as a on signal is not a full 12 volts, so I need a switch that will activate in this <12 volt setting, that, when closed, lets a seperate 12 volt through, but not when open.

if this exsists, where could I find one to buy, or if not available, what would i need to build it?

I'd forget about that. The problem is that your cables aren't big enough, and are causing excessive voltage drop. Get the proper cables. This will improve the performance, as the scheme you're proposing will keep switching every time the signal hits a peak. This, in turn, will make that amp sound like 5|-|17.

I'd also look into getting a large enough capacitor to back it up.

All you need is a relay.
Measure the voltage the line does have, and buy a relay of approprate voltage.

Also worth checking is how much current the line can deliver (trial & error with resistors or a pot). If it can't deliver enough current for a relay you'll have to buffer it with a transistor.

Miles Prower said:
I'd forget about that. The problem is that your cables aren't big enough, and are causing excessive voltage drop. Get the proper cables. This will improve the performance, as the scheme you're proposing will keep switching every time the signal hits a peak. This, in turn, will make that amp sound like 5|-|17.

I'd also look into getting a large enough capacitor to back it up.

I think he's talking about the 'remote' signal wich comes from the headunit to turn the amp on or off, not the actual power cables.

narc sleepr said:
the 12 volt line that is suppost to act as a on signal is not a full 12 volts, so I need a switch that will activate in this <12 volt setting
What is the actual value, and where does it come from? i.e. is it a logic signal or is it supposedly directly from the vehicle 12V system?

The simplest solution would be to use a transistor to switch the power.

But in order to design it for you, we would need to know the voltage of the control signal. Both the "on" voltage and the "off" voltage.

Len

well, I need to get a better voltmeter, as the one I have has some LED s that mark 11,12,13 volts, thats it.

it shows up in the 11 led, but it flickeres some, like its not really 11...

yes, i mean the remote signal, thanks Exo. its atached to the same acc. power that goes to the stock radio its self. I think that this means their isnt enough power to keep the amp on fully, so it is popping and such at low volumes, but the popping goes away when i crank it up some.

so, i thought i would use the large heavy power cable, with a little split off, to power the remote line. so, i need a switch or something to open and close that, so it turns off with my truck. So, I thought I could use the acc. line that i already had installed, to activate it. or put a transistor to ramp the voltage some, or something.

I appreciate the prompt help folks, thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back