Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switch lighting dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishael

I have a switch from radio shack that i bought (about a year ago) and when i first started using it, i had a green LED indicator in the switch working and when it was off, it was red. after a while the green light only stopped working so i thought it was my questionable wiring. today i bought the same switch and wired it properly and the same thing happened. red when off, nothing when on. i thought it was because i swapped hot and load but when i switched them, the green was always on (when the power was off to the load) and the red didnt work except the green turned off when my load was on. i grounded it properly too. now, the diagram of pins was incorrect on the old packaging and it was changed on the new one with the same incorrect information. i know both LEDs work in the switch, i just dont know why one works and the other doesnt when it should. one final odd thing, every once in a while i can turn on the switch and the green LED will flicker for a second or so and then it goes out.

switch is rated 16A 125VAC and my load is 5, 23W compact fluorescent 100W equivalent on 10 AWG stranded copper wire

I think if you bought a high quality name-brand switch at a lower cost then it would not be intermittent like the Radio-Crap no-name-brand junk switch you bought at a higher price.

yea well i have a significant budget. high school does that to you. also, to add to my laundry list of annoyances, its got a noticeable voltage leak. i can watch the first light flicker every half second or so, and the third every 2nd first light flick. they are all wired parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back