Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switch Identify

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack0987

I have a device With this 3 position slide switch.
I would like to connect a remote wired switch to it.

The right most and left most connections appear to be the case ground.

Would anyone know how this switch is configured internally?

20200421_193210.jpg
20200421_193225 (1).jpg

My "guess" is that it is "center off". From bottom view:
When to the left, those two left most contacts are connected. That defines the spacing of the sliding contacts. In the middle, the contacts on the left side are in "empty space" between the other two wide spaced ones. When the switch is to the right, the pins to the far right are connected to the second from the left (same spacing).
Most sliding switches have fixed wipers, fixed distances. Some have multiple contacts, like shorting contacts, so other possibility is left, connect left two sets, middle, short out middle two sets, far right, shorts out 3 rightmost sets.

Only with an ohm meter can you really test and determine how the switch is configured.

Since the common contact of the switch is always connected to something else, you'll probably need to remove the switch from the PCB to wire it to a remote switch.

It is a video switch. I will most likely have to get a different unit with easier switching options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back