Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switch, battery or adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jctjepkema

Hello people,

i am brand new here and i love it. this is my first thread and i have a simple question.
i have a simpel switch. it has 3 solder places for wires. and i want to connect a battery or a adapter to my pcb is this possible or should i get one with 6 solder places. and if it is possible what should i connect to this switch + or -. ?

thanks in technix

gr JC

Hello people,

i am brand new here and i love it. this is my first thread and i have a simple question.
i have a simpel switch. it has 3 solder places for wires. and i want to connect a battery or a adapter to my pcb is this possible or should i get one with 6 solder places. and if it is possible what should i connect to this switch + or -. ?

thanks in technix

gr JC

OK, just a little learning here. You need to get a little handle on some switch terminology. A simple switch with 3 terminals really doesn't say much about the switch configuration. The switch you would want would be a DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) as shown in the attached image. The switch has two positions to select either the battery or the adapter as a source for your device. The fact it has six terminals is really here nor there as many types of switches could have six terminals. As drawn the switch is ON - ON with no OFF center position so either on or the other is always selected. Now is that what you had in mind?

<EDIT> Yes, in the drawing Adapter is not spelled correctly! </EDIT> :)

Ron

Attachments

• DPDT Switch CKT.gif
    DPDT Switch CKT.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Thank you Ron(if i can call you like that)

that is exactly what i needed. you helped me out a lot. had one of this dpdt switch but it didn't work. it was broken down.

thanks JcTjepkema

No problem and since Ron is my name you can call me that anytime. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back