Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switch a 15 volt load at 2 amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron roberts

Hi, can anyone help. I need to switch a 15 volt load at 2 amps using a PNP transistor but cannot work out how to do it. I have read a lot off the Internet and seen some diagrams but it has just left my head in a mess.
Is there anyone that can post me a diagram please? It’s the resistor formula I just cannot get my head round.
I know how to identify a resistor by its colors that’s not the problem. The problem I am having is what resistors for saturation of a given transistor.

I hope the above is understandable.

ron roberts said:
Hi, can anyone help. I need to switch a 15 volt load at 2 amps using a PNP transistor but cannot work out how to do it. I have read a lot off the Internet and seen some diagrams but it has just left my head in a mess.
Is there anyone that can post me a diagram please? It’s the resistor formula I just cannot get my head round.
I know how to identify a resistor by its colors that’s not the problem. The problem I am having is what resistors for saturation of a given transistor.

I hope the above is understandable.
We can't give you an answer to this until we know what your driving source looks like, i.e., wher does the signal come from that you want to use to drive this PNP? And why do you want to use a PNP? What is the 2 amp load that you refer to?

On another forum where this same queation was asked, I talked about transistor saturation requiring a high base current.

You're better off using a P-channel power MOSFET as it doesn't need any drive current, just voltage.

Good, I'm glad you got it sorted eventually.

Thanks for comming back and telling us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back