Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Swipe card controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmythefool

Hi :)
I'm working on a PCB for an automatic gate. I want to make it compatible with swipe/proxy cards. I know the reader sends a data stream to the controller in the building which verifies if the card is valid, if so , where does the signal go from there? Do I get an output from the reader? Or does it activate a No Volt Contact/ Dry switch?
Thanks
Jim :)

Presumably the controller will be a PC, the program running in the PC will verify the swipe card is correct, and then send a signal telling the gate to open - plus it would store the card details and the time of entry. How you actually open the gate depends on how you want to - but I would suggest sending serial data from the PC and using a PIC near the gate to respond to it, and switch a relay that opens the gate.

If you don't want to record any details, you could do it all in a PIC, read the data, verify it, and open the gate.

Thanks Nigel,

I have fitted loads of readers, but the connection is normally done by the building's security contractor, I don't get involved. Usually, it goes to a dedicated controller, and sometimes onto a central PC for authorisation. I'm just not sure how it comes back.

I'm working on a PCB for an automatic gate. I want to make it compatible with swipe/proxy cards. I know the reader sends a data stream to the controller in the building which verifies if the card is valid, if so , where does the signal go from there? Do I get an output from the reader? Or does it activate a No Volt Contact/ Dry switch?

Our doorlocks comprise an enclosure containing a local PC-on-a-card running Linux. A Magtek serial card reader (and/or proximity reader) sits at one of the serial ports, and an LCD display on the other. One bit from the parallel port controls an opto-coupler (a 4N39, an opto-SCR), which in turn drives the electric doorknob. (But you could use an electric strike here.) There's also a magnetic reed switch at each door to monitor open/closed state.

The local PC runs the doorlock software (written in C++), records all transactions and grants/denies access locally. Software running on a central server (another Unix box) can download new images of the doorlock code and/or ID card database. Each lock connects to the network via a 100BaseT connection.

So, each lock is self-contained, and needs only mains and a cat5.

Thanks Corey,
I was only going to provide a couple of PIC inputs to be controlled by the building. I have seen a lot of systems like this, so I guess the building's security people provide the interface. I know a lot of big companies only allow their own people to make the connections into their system.
Regards
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back