Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Swap layers in Eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy_rb

Hello All

I'm using Eagle to make a PCB for the first time and have designed a board with the solder layer on top rather than on the bottom. Doh! Thankfully I noticed before I actually made the board!

Does anyone know an easy way I can swap the routes between the two layers on the board in Eagle? (i.e. take the top routes and put them on the bottom layer and vice versa)

Thanks

Andy

CHANGE LAYER BOTTOM

change is the wrench icon, click it and select a layer in the list of layers. Then click a trace to cause it to change to the bottom. Or group several traces then right click and select CHANGE GROUP fromthe drop down.

MIRROR will swap parts between top and bottomlayer.

Last edited:
Layers can't be changed with groups in older Eagle versions (3.55). It might work well in Eagle 5.4.0.

In order to change traces from top to bottom layer you will have to change trace by trace and bend by bend.

Before you do that you might try to group the entire PCB design with all used layers displayed. When grouped click "mirror". This will mirror all parts and put the traces on the other layer. (from top to bottom and vice versa).

Part names and values will be displayed accordingly. Smashing the parts and mirroring names and values you get a normally displayed silk screen. Disable the "t-Origin" layer (23) after smashing and only mirror the text.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Swap layers

Hi All

Thanks for the quick replies!

It's looking better already. Just need to get the ground plane on the top and I'm pretty much done.

Cheers

Andy

Eagle - Swapping layers

Hi All

I'm using Eagle 5.4.0 so I had no problems with changing the layers.

First, I removed the polygon that formed the ground plane on the bottom layer.
Then I used 'change / layers' as 3v0 suggested to move all the top traces to the bottom. I had a few traces that had to move the other way but not many.
Then I recreated the ground plane, on the top using polygon.

Cheers

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back