Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Surface Mount v.s. Through Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

unix60959

Hey guys, both these circuits are the same except for the different types of components. Each cirucuit was cut on a CNC milling maching and soldered by hand. These are my first two circuits I've built other thank kits and things like that. Let me know what you guys think!

[video=youtube_share;2g6coMacDLo]http://youtu.be/2g6coMacDLo[/video]

Thanks,

-unix60959

Nothing wrong with milling PCB's, it works.

SMD components are far easier to solder than you think, just requires a bit of technique. You don't have to do a video there's already one which pretty much explains it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY

The only thing you're lacking is some separate liquid flux.

Your boards are fine but for usefulness you should make one with a pot instead of two resistors that way you can control the flash rate, SMD pots can be quiet tiny.

jpanhalt, it's a YouTube clip, you can't control the adverts.

I never mess with you tube, if I can avoid it at all. I didn't realize adverts came with it.

For a moderator:

Doesn't ETO have a policy about having images stored on the ETO server? Shouldn't that apply to videos for the same reason(s)?

John

Jpan, it's not an image it's a video. If you click the attach "Insert Video" link on your post editor you'll see it ETO tells you use these services, it has no direct support for streaming video.

Last edited:
Look forward to more from OP,
+ but could he come up with a pcb clamp to stop the image jerking? The magnification fator on the viewer's screen means any movement is magnified too. Some white LED's arround the Lens would provide shadowless lighting.

Would be interested in seeing the PCB-milling operation if OP can duct the swarf off-screen.

Last edited:
yes video could be brighter, less shaky and better focus but still this was not bad. i have not seen through hole resistors of this style in decades. must have been salvaged from something old.

Oh com-on! haven't you got some of those old gemanium transistors with black-paint on? . . . I have.

-although they aren't earmarked for any Project, on the very-long List.

i still have few of them, most have some paint chipped away but there are couple that are perfect.
i'm keeping them until the price is astronomical, not just some $30-40 :)

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back