Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Surface Mount DC & Phono : rugged enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gifford

I am toying with the idea of using SMT DC and Phono sockets for my project, but I'm wondering if they would be strong enough. As they dont have holes into the PCB (like a normal connector) it would seem there is a loss of strength.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of application of SMT?

PS: The connectors will be properly fitted at a manufacturer, and not by my limited skills.

Thanks.

gifford said:
I am toying with the idea of using SMT DC and Phono sockets for my project, but I'm wondering if they would be strong enough. As they dont have holes into the PCB (like a normal connector) it would seem there is a loss of strength.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of application of SMT?

PS: The connectors will be properly fitted at a manufacturer, and not by my limited skills.

Thanks.

I would suggest they would be a great deal easier to damage, a fairly slight 'knock' would probably strip the track off the board - unless you have some kind of mechanical fastening as well?.

depending on the application and size etc, mayb the enclosure could grip the socket, giving it more protection? if this is not possible i would strongly recommend using a thru-hole part

There's no mechanical fastening.

Hmmm as I suspected.. thanks for your opinions, I have now been well and truly swung back into the TH court.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back