Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Surface Mount Component Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboybob

Most Helpful Member
Thus far in my life I've soldered in place exactly 1 (one, uno) SM device (little IC in a kit QRP rig).

I have never removed one.

I want to remove the coupled inductor in the pic below (marked 752S) and replace it with another that has a different ratio (although is the exact same physical size). As you can see, it has four contacts.

View attachment 68314

Any hints out there on a method for removing the little sucker without destroying it, the components next to it or the board? The board is a multi-layer traces sort.

I have a binocular dissecting scope, so I will be able to see what I'm doing.

If need be, I guess destroying the inductor is an option.

Hints on re-soldering its replacement are also welcome.

Last edited:
Thanks, John.

That looks like the ticket.

Can that also be used to "re-seat" the replacement component?

Last edited:
I think both can be used to reseat, but be sure to add flux. Before switching to SMD, I had always used cored solder and didn't think much about additional flux. With SMD, you will find flux can be like an extra hand.

John

A normal temperature-controlled soldering iron and a dental pick. Put lots of solder on the iron tip, then touch it on two contacts at the same time, and with the dental pick under the component apply a SMALL amount of upward pressure. The component will tilt very slightly and you will get a fraction of a mm lift on that side.

Then repeat on the other side, lifting that side. Repeat both sides 5 or 6 times and it will be lifted 1-2mm. That is enough to get a solder sucker near it and suck out the solder in each pin in turn, so the component falls off.

It sounds complicated but the whole process only takes less than a minute and won't heat or cause issues with the other components.

Thanks, Mr RB.

Since I don't have the unit yet that John suggested, I might give your idea a shot. I've done thru-hole chips that way before but, like I say, just not SMs.

I have done as Mr RB suggests with SMD's that have identifiable pins (like SOIC, etc.). The four contacts on a rigid structure may present more of a challenge.

If you know anyone in a university chemistry or physics department, Woods metal or any very low melting alloy can be added to the solder to make a very low melting alloy that can be easily removed with a hair dryer. Chip-Quik is a commercial solder that is produced for that approach. The principle component in most such alloys is bismuth.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back