Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Supply Or Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muhammad89

:confused:

I have been keen on Electronics and Electrical diagrams for quite some time and some of those times, I find to come across TWO terms that I can't differentiate between,Supply & Input. So, what is the difference in here?

Muhammad89

Come on, your pulling our collective legs arn't you?

If you have been looking at circuit diagrams for a week you should have worked that out.

But, in case you are serious. Input is what ever type of signal your circuit is going to manipulate. IE. Amplify or otherwise process. Supply is the power your circuit is going to use in order to do the manipulation.

Clear now?

Larry

Come on, your pulling our collective legs arn't you?

If you have been looking at circuit diagrams for a week you should have worked that out.

But, in case you are serious. Input is what ever type of signal your circuit is going to manipulate. IE. Amplify or otherwise process. Supply is the power your circuit is going to use in order to do the manipulation.

Clear now?

Larry

I got what you mean, so, an irrigation system, if taken as an example as a representation of a circuit, is being supplied with water through pipes from the well via the pump, the water coming from the well is the supply and the water going through the pipes is the input.water=Water(supply=Input) so no difference in here.

what do you say?
Muhammad89

NO, The supply only = input when talking about an isolating transformer.

Lets take an audio amp as EG. The small volume audio signel (say from a microphone) you want to amplify is the input.
The mains from the wall, stepped down from 240v AC and rectified and smoothed to lets say 37v DC+/- ( I used this voltage because it is a common voltage used in big amps) is the supply. They are not the same thing at all.

Clearer now?

Larry

NO, The supply only = input when talking about an isolating transformer.

Lets take an audio amp as EG. The small volume audio signel (say from a microphone) you want to amplify is the input.
The mains from the wall, stepped down from 240v AC and rectified and smoothed to lets say 37v DC+/- ( I used this voltage because it is a common voltage used in big amps) is the supply. They are not the same thing at all.

Clearer now?

Larry

Did you read my private messages?

Muhammad89

I got what you mean, so, an irrigation system, if taken as an example as a representation of a circuit, is being supplied with water through pipes from the well via the pump, the water coming from the well is the supply and the water going through the pipes is the input.water=Water(supply=Input) so no difference in here.

I'd call the water the input "current" and the supply is the electric power used in running the pump.
Both input and both supply current or power to the circuit, but, by convention, the input doesn't provide power to run the circuit. The input modulates the supply power to provide a modulated output.

And, a passive circuit does not have a supply.

Last edited:
Yes, I read it. But there really is nothing I can do for you, except offer help and guidence on here. Just like all the rest on here.

I will say, you have very little chance of even a part time job with the knowledge you curently have.

Larry

I'd call the water the input "current" and the supply is the electric power used in running the pump.
Both input and both supply current or power to the circuit, but, by convention, the input doesn't provide power to run the circuit. The input modulates the supply power to provide a modulated output.

And, a passive circuit does not have a supply.

Yes Willbe, I could have said that but.. Had you ever been to an African christaning or wedding you would know why I thought the amp analagy would be better...

Larry

Yes, I read it. But there really is nothing I can do for you, except offer help and guidence on here. Just like all the rest on here.

I will say, you have very little chance of even a part time job with the knowledge you curently have.

Larry

there is not even a chance of meeting you. I really want to widen my knowledge , I know I am still niave, but nobody is born highly educated!

what do you say?
Muhammad89

Hi Muhammad89,

OK, let's stay at the irrigation system. True, the well is the supply for the system. The pump is necessary to make the system work. If you omit the pump you will have to carry the water and logically you'll require some input to do so. (no matter if good words or using a whip).

In that case the entire supply system remains unchanged because the objective is transport of water. The only change is the input which normally consists of switching advices for the pump. It has been replaced to make you carry the water.

Hope that explains it better.

The system doesn't only consist of the well, pipes and pump. There must be some kind of sensors telling an electronic control circuit that there is demand of water or the tank is full. The outputs of the sensors are inputs to the control circuit. The control circuit evaluates the conditions (based on your logic thinking) and "outputs" switching of the pump.

Boncuk

Yes Willbe, I could have said that but.. Had you ever been to an African christaning or wedding you would know why I thought the amp analagy would be better...

Larry[/QUOTE

it is much better to know all what you say than saying all what you know. I hope you get it Mr. LarryExp.

Muhammad89

Hi Muhammad89,

OK, let's stay at the irrigation system. True, the well is the supply for the system. The pump is necessary to make the system work. If you omit the pump you will have to carry the water and logically you'll require some input to do so. (no matter if good words or using a whip).

In that case the entire supply system remains unchanged because the objective is transport of water. The only change is the input which normally consists of switching advices for the pump. It has been replaced to make you carry the water.

Hope that explains it better.

The system doesn't only consist of the well, pipes and pump. There must be some kind of sensors telling an electronic control circuit that there is demand of water or the tank is full. The outputs of the sensors are inputs to the control circuit. The control circuit evaluates the conditions (based on your logic thinking) and "outputs" switching of the pump.

Boncuk[/QUOTE

That was a good explanation, Thanks

it is much better to know all what you say than saying all what you know

:p

And Mark Twain said "It ain't what you don't know what hurts you, it's what you know that ain't true."

"Had you ever been to an African christaning or wedding you would know why I thought the amp analagy would be better..."

No, never been. . .

Last edited:
Nobody is born educated. Schools and universities provide education.
Books and internet tutorials can help you learn about electonic circuits.
Experience with electonics as a hobby helps you to learn about electronic circuits.

Generally speaking,

Supply = power to a circuit

Input = the signal to be processed

However, consider an instrument which measures the elecvtrical mains supply, from the input to such a meter you could take the supply (the 240volts) and the signal (voltage and frequency for example).

Thinking as I have been typing, the words do not have exact meaning:

Supply = whatever provides the energy to operate the device.

Signal = the information to be processed by the device

Input = anything going into the device

Output = anything going out from the device.

JimB

I just can't help thinking that using an irrigation system as example for an electronic system is not conducive to proper or easy understanding.

That statement I made before was NOT racist. I was just trying to use an example you may be familiar with. Obviously, I was right in that assumption or you would not have understood why I said it. My wife is Caribbean, and I have never to my knowledge ever deliberately said anything racist and never will.

To those who haven't been to an African party of any kind. I will explain a bit. Generally, amplifiers are in evidence to a large extent. I am not saying there is anything bad about loud music. I'm merely pointing out that of all the African parties I've been to, and I've been to quite a few, (Caribbean parties are about as loud), They do tend to like their sound systems turned up to the max.

So, if anyone was offended by my remark. I am sorry you took it that way.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back