Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Supermagnets that'll break your arm..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog

**broken link removed**

Take Note: Two Super magnets can very easily get out of control and break fingers and even your arm if opposing poles fly at each other. If working with multiple Supermagnets, always handle one magnet at a time, secure it, then proceed to the next magnet.:eek: :eek: :eek:

THESE ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT TOYS AND CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS! KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN! - THESE CAN EASILY CRUSH FINGERS! WE CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR INJURY OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY THESE POWERFUL MAGNETS.:rolleyes:

Beware - you must think ahead when moving these magnets.
If carrying one into another room, carefully plan the route you will be taking. Computers & monitors will be affected in an entire room. Loose metallic objects and other magnets may become airborne and fly considerable distances - and at great speed - to attach themselves to this magnet. If you get caught in between the two, you can get injured...:eek: :D

**broken link removed**

Wow, thanks for the post Analog. Pretty neat site. I'd buy the magnet if it wasn't $200:eek:

And who would have thought you could buy uranium online? When I was a kid and collecting rocks, I seriously wanted a chunk of ore. But my folks said no, and I had no idea where to get one, lol

I like the photos from the prospecting trips.

"Our group photo for our most recent prospecting trip...
the Wilson family. They took home well over 100 pounds of Uranium ore."

That cracked me up. :D

I'm just imagining what it would be like to show up at the emergency room pinched between two of these. I mean, they'd be ill-equipped to separate them and free you. Much of their equipment could get stuck to you and they may not get it back.

You don't show up in the emergency room pinched between two of these things. You show up missing a limb, or you end up at the morgue.

We once took apart an ancient HP hard disk - you know the ones that were about the size of a small desk. The magnets were powerful, like these, and my friend got a finger pinched. I think he was lucky, could have been very bad. Put the like poles together, and watch the lighter chunk go flying across the room. The disks made nice shiny frisbies, but they were sharp, and would bury themselves in a piece of wood. You couldn't catch them without cutting your hand. Holy shuriken, batman!

Modern hard drives are the same way, the magnets in those suckers are VERY strong. They need to be in order to give the voice coil something to 'grab on' to. They're usually about an inch long, slightly curved, and if you let them make contact with a large piece of metal it can be problematic getting them off. When I was a kid I used to take old hard drives apart (5.25 hard drives old but not that old) The magnets were fun and I used to heat the platers up on a stove and then drop them in water to watch how the disc contorts into a ribbon and sometimes exploded (cracked badly) from the thermal shock. Then again I was a bit of a pyro.

I got my fingers nearly broken off while disassembling a Fisher and Paykel Gentle anny washing machine motor.

After i took the rotor coils and stator magnets from the machine to get the motor assembly of, i put them back together to keep it all with each other.
Clonk !
The outer magnetic ring sucked in the coils and my fingers.
Wauww! that hurts, i still got marks on my fingers. I was lucky that they didn't break off.
Lesson learnt.
Be carefull with power magnets.

I performed a lesson in magnetics for an elementary school last Fall. I used rare-earth magnets scavenged from old HDs. You can chip and crack them if they slam together too fast. And yes they will pinch skin and it's not pleasant.
Here's a funny: I was practicing my demo at home using neodymium discs, and placed a magnet against each nostril, pinching them closed, thereby making my voice sound nasal. Upon removing the one magnet, the other slid onto my moustache and instantly pinched the very bottom of the nasal septum (nostril divider) as well. HOLY CR@P-- I had to run to a mirror and carefully slide them apart .... after lmore pain and losing a few moustache hairs!! Lesson learned-- the dumb and difficult way! :eek: After that dumb stunt, I opted for the safer trick in placing one magnet above and below my palm.

How about that Trinitite they are selling? A piece from the radio active floor of the crater that resulted from the Trinity test project. Think about the UPS courier cheerfully delivering that or a chunk of their Super High Radioactive Uranium. 3-days later he wonders how he contracted that spreading rash that accompanies his stomach aches, headaches, and blurred vision.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back