Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Supercapacitor Sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

eld101

I currently have a 24v circuit that pull only about 1/4 amp. Lets say I want to be able to run this circuit for 10 minutes off of a supercapacitor. I have not found any formulas that seem to link amp/hour with capacitance. Any suggested equations or places to start looking?

Thanks!

The equation for a constant current is
C= (I x t)/V
where I is the current, t is the time in seconds, and V is the amount of voltage drop you can tolerate before the circuit quits.

For example for 1/4 amp, 10 minutes, and a 4V drop (24V to 20V) the required capacitance is 37.5 Farads, a rather large capacitor.

United Chemi-con makes some very large capacitors. Some are used in cars. After a car crash you may not have 12 volts to make the electric windows work. They make capacitors that hold enough charge to run the window motors once.

Why not use a battery?

ronsimpson said:
United Chemi-con makes some very large capacitors. Some are used in cars. After a car crash you may not have 12 volts to make the electric windows work. They make capacitors that hold enough charge to run the window motors once.

Why not use a battery?

The charge cycle only has a matter of seconds..... I dont think a battery would last more than a few weeks after only getting charge in 10 second intervals.

Years ago I had some 5F low voltage capacitors. The charge and discharge curves are not like a capacitor but like a battery. I think they are actually batteries.

The UCC capacitors are real capacitors. I know. You need to look at the current rating on the caps. You may not get them charged in 10 seconds.

I've got over 1000 supercaps in stock at the moment :eek:

The temptation to hook them all up in parallel rather than selling them is immense .....

ronsimpson said:
You may not get them charged in 10 seconds.
To recharge them in 10 seconds after supplying 1/4A for 10 minutes would require a 15A charge current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back