Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Super super noob question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvgap

ok, i have a double throw single pole switch but i cannot for the life of me figure out how to work this incredibly simple piece of equipment. I know it is the most noobish question ever but if some one could help me it would be amazing. The switch i am talking about has 6 "pins" on the bottom, 2 rows of 3.

::: so lets label the top row 1,2,3 and the bottom row 4,5,6. If i wanted to use the switch i thought i wouuldjust hook wires up to 1 and 4 and then flip the switch in that direction and it would work, but it does not so now i am thoroughly confused

Last edited:
It looks to me that it is a DPDT switch, not a SPDT as you said.

So I expect that the connections will be between 1 & 2 and 4 & 5 with the switch in one position and 2 & 3 and 5 & 6 in the other.

Do you have a multimeter? If not, buy a cheap one and then you can check the switch operation.

the switch has one pole sticking up in the middle and it can go to either side, i think it said on-off-on on the box, is this what you were talking about?

I think the switch is actually double pole double throw, because it has six contacts.

In which case try this:

With the switch in one position, pin2 connects to pin1, and, pin5 connects to pin4.

With the switch in the other position, pin2 connects to pin3, and, pin4 connects to pin6.

JimB

hvgap said:
the switch has one pole sticking up in the middle
If you mean the thing you move with your fingers, that is the "toggle".
The "poles" are the electrical switches.

hvgap said:
and it can go to either side, i think it said on-off-on on the box,
That sort of switch is called a "double throw, centre off".

JimB

yay, thank you it works... hm if it is called a double pole double throw then what is considered the other pole, unless i am incredibly blind i only see one

hvgap said:
oh icic ...........
I have no idea what icic means. The pole of a switch is the common contact.

A SPDT switch has a a single pole that is connected to one side when the switch is in one position and to the other side when in the other position.

A DPDT switch allows you to switch 2 circuits.

Your switch has 3 positions on-off-on.

So there is no connection in the centre position and if switched one way 1 - 2 & 4 - 5 are connected. When switched to the other side 2 - 3 & 5 - 6 are connected.

The other pole goes to another set of contacts.

An example application of this switch is building a simple h-bridges to reverse a small motor.

I think icic means I see, I see. Think maybe he's worked it out now.

yea i have, haha sorry about the icic, im 16 and on AIM a lot..., and yea i figured it out thank you guys so much. Awesome forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back