Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

super beginner: Current in parallel circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddylion

[resolved] super beginner: Current in parallel circuits

Hello,

I think I'm having a conceptual error on this, and I have verified that the currents are the same on my breadboard, but I don't know how it's possible.

I have a 6Vdc power source (4 x 1.5V batteries), and two resistors parallel to each other and to the battery pack. Both resistors are 100Ω. I know that the voltage across both resistors would be 6Vdc and obviously the resistance would of both resistors will stay the same.

So, using Ohm's law, I can calculate that the current across R1 is 0.06A (6V / 100Ω) and the current would be the same for R2 (since it has the same resistance).

So my question is, how can the the current be the same across both resistors? Wouldn't this violate energy laws? For example, what if I had 5,000 leds of equal resistance in parallel with each other. Obviously, 6V wouldn't light them all, but why wouldn't it, if the voltage drop and current running through each one of them is the same (equal power).

Thank you so much in advance. :)

Last edited:
You have two 100 Ohm resistors in Parallel for a total resistance of 50 Ohms. Therefore 6 / 50 = .120 amps. That .120 amps is total current that will split equally through each resistor so each resistor has .060 amp flowing through it. However, the actual current is limited by what your source can supply.

Ron

Last edited:
Thank you Reloadron, I understand what you said completely and eliminates the confusion I had. Thanks a million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back