Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sunpark SL15 ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimg

Last year I bought 20 fluorescent fixtures for use in the garage and shop. They were the economical workshop fixture available at Home Depot for $9. They use a SunPark SL15 electronic ballast. I have had several of the ballasts fail. The problem always seems to be two resistors, a .22 ohm and a 2.2 ohm. I was wondering if anyone else has bought any of these fixtures and had the same problem and done any experimenting on the ballasts to see if they can be resurrected. A new ballast is $6.50 so not really economical to replace in an $9 fixture, but if it's just two resistors, I would happily replace them.

Last edited:
Thanks Eric. I've been to those sites before. I would still like to hear from anyone who's taken one apart and knows about those resistors.

It won't just be the two resistors, they will have blown (as fuses) when the ballast failed, probably the output transistor(s) is/are S/C, and most probably they failed because electrolytics have dried up.

hi

I have the same problem. SL 15 has failed for the 2nd time and now I cannot locate a replacement....I'm not even sure if I want this **** product in my home anymore, maybe I'll just buy a new lighting fixture. Sunpark should pay attention to post on line because if they keep making such bad products it will not be long before they see a drop in business.

Last edited:
hi

I have the same problem. SL 15 has failed for the 2nd time and now I cannot locate a replacement....I'm not even sure if I want this **** product in my home anymore, maybe I'll just buy a new lighting fixture. Sunpark should pay attention to post on line because if they keep making such bad products it will not be long before they see a drop in business.

Strange you should write now, I was out two days ago looking to buy a few more fixtures.

The second generation of the Sunpark ballast, the skinny one, has worked very well for me, no failures so far. I've had to replace over half of the old design due to failures. Unfortunately, it appears that those are no longer available at Home Depot or Lowes or other stores in my area. The same price replacement uses a noisy, magnetic ballast. Not good at all. I tried the next higher up model, three dollars more, but would have been worth it, but even though it was an electronic ballast and the same shape and size as the newer Sunparks, it was still terribly noisy. A real shame, but it looks like a source of quiet inexpensive fixtures with has gone away :(

Contact with Sun Park

I received this Email from Sun Park after sending a VERY short email.

is it a 4 lamps fixture? If it is 4 lamps fixture, you should not use this
ballast anymore. The heat inside the fixture made electrolytic capacitor (in
SL15) life short. I suggest you change it to below model.

120-4/32IS HPF.

Hope that info helps

I received this Email from Sun Park after sending a VERY short email.

is it a 4 lamps fixture? If it is 4 lamps fixture, you should not use this
ballast anymore. The heat inside the fixture made electrolytic capacitor (in
SL15) life short. I suggest you change it to below model.

120-4/32IS HPF.

Hope that info helps

No, it's the two lamp fixture. And I would be thrilled if I could just get a replacement ballast for the same price as I paid for the whole fixture. Did you get an address to order the above ballast?

Sl15

Lowe's has them for 26.00 and Sun park also has them. Sorry , have not found them anyplace else so far.

Brian

Last edited:
Lowe's has them for 26.00 and Sun park also has them. Sorry , have not found them anyplace else so far.

Brian

Yes, exactly. I've seen them under the Advance brand name for $26.00 at Home depot also. That's a lot to replace the ballast in a $9.95 fixture.

Who says a thread is dead just because the original hasn't been there in three years? This is impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back