Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

summing 2 frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

zesla

Hi,

I want to sum 2 frequencies say A and B. For instance say the A is equal to 100kHz
and B is equal to 1kHz (B frequncy changes till 8kHz for sometimes) and get C=100kHz + 1kHz =101kHz. How can I do so?
Thanks.

Technically, you want to multiply the signals (using a mixer a Nigel stated) to get the sum (and difference) frequencies.

By the way as I know it is not so easy to design a sharp filter while the diference is just 1 to 2kHz?

Oh, I just thought maybe just a summer based upon resistorsa and an op-amp will do so?

No, a 'summer' wouldn't do it, as suggested a 'multiplier' is what's required, however it's not as complicated as it sounds. If you didn't want double balancing then almost anything will do, a transistor, a diode etc.

But a standard mixer isn't balanced, so you get out of it sum, difference, and BOTH inputs - so a double banacned mixer cancels out the original, something like an MC1496 would be fine.

Oh, I just thought maybe just a summer based upon resistorsa and an op-amp will do so?
A summer adds the two signals together, but not in the way you want. If you summed them as you proposed, you would end up with a 100KHz signal riding on a 1kHz signal. But you would not have a 101kHz signal. To get that requires a non-linear multiplier (mixer) circuit.

No, a 'summer' wouldn't do it, as suggested a 'multiplier' is what's required, however it's not as complicated as it sounds. If you didn't want double balancing then almost anything will do, a transistor, a diode etc.

But a standard mixer isn't balanced, so you get out of it sum, difference, and BOTH inputs - so a double banacned mixer cancels out the original, something like an MC1496 would be fine.

Thanks for your help Nigel

What is a DOUBLE BALANCING MODULATOR really and why they are called so?
I just want ONE output (101kHz for instance). So is it easy to get just one output while there is no ideal filter and it is not so easy to get a very sharp filter?

A summer adds the two signals together, but not in the way you want. If you summed them as you proposed, you would end up with a 100KHz signal riding on a 1kHz signal. But you would not have a 101kHz signal. To get that requires a non-linear multiplier (mixer) circuit.

Ok thanks, but the main problem is how to get it by a multiplier/ modulator? I just want one output, so the difference freq and the so called carrier (i.e 100kHz) would be problematical.

Yes I took A look at it when Nigel introduced it, But there is a bad problem, and it is removing the lower freq, (I think it is called the lower sideband) and just get the upper one on the output.
By the way I have found that a chip like AD633 does as a multiplier too, but as I told I have the problem of removing the lower sideband.

P.S why we ended up with an AM modulator for my job? is it just the AM modulation that act as a summer like what I want?

Maybe 2 frequency-voltage converters, outputs summed & fed into a voltage-frequency converter.

Producing a signal with a single-sideband and no carrier is not trivial. You can use a modulator circuit designed for that purpose such as a Hartley (phase shifting the modulating signal) or Weaver circuit (quadrature modulation). A third way is to use a balanced modulator which suppresses the carrier but produces the upper and lower sidebands, so you need a sharp filter to remove the undesired sideband.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back