Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suitable volume control

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaty40

Hi,

I have built a small amplifier, 18 watt BTL, based on the HA13118 chip from a kit.

I added a volume control using a 10k pot and a 1k resistor. However turning the pot a small amout gives me almost full volume. What values should I use to give me a more usable range?

Beaty40

Hi,

Thanks for that.

My knowledge is limited[very]; what does 'taper' refer too? Is this the same as 'log'? Most of the pots in my catalogue [UK] seem to be of the linear type.

Beaty

beaty40 said:
what does 'taper' refer too? Is this the same as 'log'

Yes, you are correct.
Audio taper (or log) give 15 percent resistance at the 50 percent rotation point.
Linear taper give 50 percent resistance at the 50 percent point.
So audio taper pots give more volume adjustment at the lower levels.

Hi,

Again, many thanks. Terms often vary from one country to another. My guess was that you meant the log version. I will try it.

Regards,

Beaty

The Log taper is actually closer in tolerance to the audio taper.

Audio taper: Usually 15%resistance at the 50%rotation point
Linear taper (aka B-taper): Always 50%resistance at the 50%travel point
Log taper: Often used as an audio taper, 10% resistance at the 50%
rotation point.

data from: **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back