Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestions : what IC is this and how do I fix this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwchico

Hi

I'm trying to find an IC. The IC says ELM310CB. Does this mean the IC is a LM310, because the LM is not a common IC so i'm having doubts. There is also a company called ELM electronics, but their IC's seem to have a white number and are programmed specific. Anyone have any ideas.

This circuit board comes out of a treadmill that i'm trying to fix and cannot get right. From what i can gether is that the design works very much like a voltage regulator driving a 180v DC motor. I assume the op-amp LM324N is the voltage regulator IC because this IC is driving the base of the bi-polar transistor(CT60AM). I dunno what the ELM310CB ic is supposed to do because it gets feedback voltage from the transistor.

The treadmill totally stopped working so I replaced the transistor(CT60AM) this got the treadmill working again with variable speed. But the minute you stand on the treadmill putting load on the motor it goes crazy starts speeding up automatically then slows down then speeds up. I assume its doing this to compansate the motor load but cannot find a stable voltage.

Am i guessing that the IC i'm searching for could be the possible problem, I have replaced LM324 already and did not solve the problem.

There is a PIC and ULN20034 IC but I assume these are used to control the buttons on the treadmill and provide feedback of current speed. Could the PIC be blown, or the SIPEX ic (also dunno what IC that is either). But I'm assuming these IC's don't have a direct relation to the motor driver circuit. Am I wrong ?

I'm totally confused on how to fix this, any one have any suggestions.

Attachments

• ic.jpg
    ic.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 704
Your chip could be the ELM310 as sold by the ELM company because its logo resemble that of used by ELM but that would be a guess.

If it is sold by ELM, then it is a stepper motor controller IC. If its pins are not going to a stepper motor, then it is not the above ELM310.

Hi,
The elm circuit looks like a steppercontroller: **broken link removed** Here is the datasheet.

The Sipex SP465 is a no no, not to be found on any component search engine I tried(and not at SIPEX). If it is a typo and the number is SP485ECP, the datasheet is here: **broken link removed**

The ULN chip is a standard ULN2003AN - 7-open collector drivers.

It might be an idea to reverse engineer the pcb and make a schematic, at least around the power control components.
The reason for the erratic behaviour could be som sort of PWM/ stepper oscillator problem.

TOK ;)

I also thought initially it might be an ELM ic but considering the motor is a straight forward 180v DC motor and not a stepper motor, I am doubtfull.

I contacted ELM electronics and they say its not one of their chips. Any one got any other suggestions on what IC it could be.

The Sipex chip / ULN chip i assume is not related to driving the motor - is this correct, so even if they were blown they wouldn't effect the motor ?

Could it be possible that the custom (PIC i think) ic could be blown how robust are these IC's.

I really have a feeling its that ELM chip but what chip is it ?

vwchico said:
Could it be possible that the custom (PIC i think) ic could be blown how robust are these IC's.

PIC's are very robust devices, and extremely reliable (as are most micro-controllers), if something 'nasty' has happened it could have been blown, but I would have thought it's unlikely.

Can't you get a chip as a spare part from the manufacturer of the unit?, or a service manual for that matter?.

If not?, I suggest you try drawing the circuit out, at least it will give you some idea of how things are connected, and more chance of figuring out what the IC is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back