Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggest good USB host to UART converter to work with ESP WROOM 32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guna Shekar G

Hello, I am working on a project in which I am supposed to convert USB host to UART to communicate the data to NodeMCU. I have tried to use ch376s but unfortunately it's not working as required. So if you know any other USB Host to UART converter module, please do suggest. Thanks in advance.

Doesn't a NodeMCU module already have a USB–serial chip on the board? A quick survey suggests that the CP2102 is commonly used, but I think I have some ESP32 modules with a CH340G.

Do you just need the proper driver? Or have I missed the point of the question entirely?

I think he needs to host USB on the micro and talk to a esp via the usb socket.... I dont think the CH376s is supposed to do this... CDC isn't on the list.

I really think he needs to tell us EXACTLY what he's wanting to do, I suspect he's probably going about it in completely the wrong way?.

I really think he needs to tell us EXACTLY what he's wanting to do, I suspect he's probably going about it in completely the wrong way?.
No, he doesn't, he already told those of us experienced enough to have an intelligent conversation with him enough to give him a clear answer. If all of the ESP32 modules you've ever worked with have USB converters on-board, you've never enjoyed doing ultra low power applications. The more onboard components on the board, them more power it draws in deep sleep and the less control the designer has.

here is an example. Of USB-free ESP32 WROOM module.

To the OP,
I've found anything made by FTDI and sold by a reputable distributor work well. Get the drivers right from ftdi.

No, he doesn't, he already told those of us experienced enough to have an intelligent conversation with him enough to give him a clear answer. If all of the ESP32 modules you've ever worked with have USB converters on-board, you've never enjoyed doing ultra low power applications. The more onboard components on the board, them more power it draws in deep sleep and the less control the designer has.

I've no idea why you attacking me without reason yet again?, perhaps you'd care to explain what YOU think he's trying to do?, rather than making your usual unwarranted attacks.

I've also never made the slightest suggestion that he's using a board with, or without, onboard USB converters.

I also spend much of my professional life designing and programming low power projects, and as such wouldn't use any permanently powered USB converter.

But as we've no idea if he's wanting low power, you're just making it up as usual.

humm...

Last edited:

Hi, I have a sensor which unfortunately doesn't communicate directly via UART, but via USB. That USB of sensor is supposed send data to ESP32 and I need to have a bridge of USB Host-UART to recieve data to ESP WROOM 32 via TX and RX line. For that I need a USB Host to UART converter. I am not able to find one.

Last edited:
Doesn't a NodeMCU module already have a USB–serial chip on the board? A quick survey suggests that the CP2102 is commonly used, but I think I have some ESP32 modules with a CH340G.

Do you just need the proper driver? Or have I missed the point of the question entirely?
Does CH340G act as USB Host and can act as USB Host to UART bridge? If yes then you have answered my query. Thanks.

No. The CH340G and other UART/USB converters connect to a host device like a computer so the computer can send and receive data from a UART port. Your NodeMCU board (probably) already such a device to download code from a computer.

I don't know if a ESP32 can even act as a USB host. I doubt there are any external devices to do this because it will take a fair bit of processing power to properly interact with any type of USB device that can be plugged in.

You might be better off to look for a different sensor with an interface the ESP can easily handle.

No. The CH340G and other UART/USB converters connect to a host device like a computer so the computer can send and receive data from a UART port. Your NodeMCU board (probably) already such a device to download code from a computer.

I don't know if a ESP32 can even act as a USB host. I doubt there are any external devices to do this because it will take a fair bit of processing power to properly interact with any type of USB device that can be plugged in.

You might be better off to look for a different sensor with an interface the ESP can easily handle.

Thank you

You might have a look here:

See if it helps at all. Although if the sensor relies greatly on a driver running on a PC, you still might be stuffed.

The 'better' solution of course would be to use a more micro friendly sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back