Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sudden problem with MCLR on PIC16F628

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futterama

Hello,

I was just improving my PIC programmer hardware, and suddenly it seems like the MCLR pin is kept low on a PIC16F628 (short circuit inside the PIC?).

If I connect 12V to the MCLR, and GND to GND with no other pins connected (not even Vdd), heavy current will run through the MCLR pin (>250mA and probably more if my power supply didn't have current limit). The voltage on the MCLR pin will only rise to approx. 2V.

If I connect the PIC to 5V supply and GND (no MCLR connected) the program in the PIC will run fine.

What happened to the PIC?

If it makes a difference, the PIC was obtained as a sample from Microchip.

Regards,
Futterama

Futterama said:
Hello,

I was just improving my PIC programmer hardware, and suddenly it seems like the MCLR pin is kept low on a PIC16F628 (short circuit inside the PIC?).

If I connect 12V to the MCLR, and GND to GND with no other pins connected (not even Vdd), heavy current will run through the MCLR pin (>250mA and probably more if my power supply didn't have current limit). The voltage on the MCLR pin will only rise to approx. 2V.

If I connect the PIC to 5V supply and GND (no MCLR connected) the program in the PIC will run fine.

What happened to the PIC?

You've destroyed it 8)

PIC's are extremely hardy devices, so you must have done something particularly 'nasty' to it - but sticking 12V from a PSU directly in the MCLR pin doesn't sound like you've treated it with much love or care?.

Well, I think PICs are rough devices and I didn't do anything nasty...

Actually, there is a transistor between MCLR pin and the PSU, but does it make a difference? And I would never hurt my little babyes on purpose :lol:

Microchip's sample is just like an ordinary PIC that you buy from stores and would not self distruct after a certain time.

You might have connected a voltage higher than 15V to the MCLR pin and this could damage it.

Do not improve something if it ain't broken. :D

Futterama said:
Well, I think PICs are rough devices and I didn't do anything nasty...

Actually, there is a transistor between MCLR pin and the PSUit

to amplify the current running to it i guess? Shocks! :shock: [/b]

Re: reply

aibelectronics said:
to amplify the current running to it i guess? Shocks! :shock:

No, to turn the Vpp on and off during programming.

The voltage at Vpp have been below 13V at all times (12.82 to be accurate).

I have to improve my programmer, so it can program other PICs than the 16F628 :wink:

Well, I guess this is what can happen. I'll leave it in the ESD safe box for a few weeks, and it will be ready to reprogram again :D :wink:

Re: reply

Futterama said:
I have to improve my programmer, so it can program other PICs than the 16F628 :wink:

What "improvement" is needed to program other PICs than 16F628?

Nigel, I ALWAYS use the internal osc and I have programmed the PIC16F628 MANY times with this simple programmer...

I didn't make the software used for programming (David Tait's FPP Flash PIC Programmer) so I don't know. The hardware only controls Vpp, data and clock. Vdd is applied at all times.

Futterama said:
I didn't make the software used for programming (David Tait's FPP Flash PIC Programmer) so I don't know. The hardware only controls Vpp, data and clock. Vdd is applied at all times.

That's because it's an ICSP (In Circuit Serial programmer), as such it can pull MCLR (Vpp) down low to reset the PIC - normal (non-ICSP) don't usually have this capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back