• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suck or Blow?

Moonman

I'd like a device to clean the dust and debris from PCBs and internals of appliances; eg PC, VCR etc.

Is it best to use a compressed can that BLOWS?

Is it better to invest in a more expensive electric blower?

OR

Is it better to use a handheld vacuum cleaner that SUCKS up the dust and debris?

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
unfortunately, you may need both.

There is a micro cleaning attachment set available for shop vacs etc.
If your going to vacuum toner a lot use a vacuum with a HEPA filter.

It makes more sense to vacuum and not dust, but it isn't always possible.

Canned air is very useful. A compressor may spurt out oil unless it's a diaphragm compressor. If it has a tank, it might spurt out water.

You really want to contain the dust, not spread it about.

augustinetez

As above, you will need both.

My only extra advice is some small soft paint brushes to aid in dislodging dust from cracks and crevices and if at all possible, when blowing dust out of something - do it outside.

gophert

Most Helpful Member
Use compressed air and 90% of the time, that is enough. If not, try vacuum.

JimB

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
I favour a vacuum and a brush.
Compressed air blows the dust all over the workshop.

JimB

gophert

Most Helpful Member

JimB
Get a longer hose for the compressor and step outside.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
A vacuum cleaner and soft brush are the standard equipment for service departments, we never ever had a can of compressed air - you want to remove the dust, not spread it round.

gophert

Most Helpful Member
A vacuum cleaner and soft brush are the standard equipment for service departments, we never ever had a can of compressed air - you want to remove the dust, not spread it round.
That's why you use a compressor and not a wimpy little can. Beside, the cans are a liquified compressed gas that makes surfaces cold and can cause condensation in the dust which makes the dust adhere more strongly.
The compressor will definitely spread the dust round - mostly into your neighbors yard.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Anyone recommend a suitable vacuum cleaner?
Henry's are pretty decent - basically a motor on a bucket - they work well, and are exceptionally reliable (which is why many hotels and professional cleaners use them). They also have nice big bags and hold a lot.

Years back Vax were the one to go for (very similar to a Henry really), but they went bust a VERY long time ago - the new reborn Vax is a completely different company, and just reuses the old name.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles