Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Subwoofer to control LED-Strip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gertt

Subwoofer to control LED-Strip - Help needed

Hey guys,

Been searching the internet the past few days and I think I've found what I need. But since I'm pretty new to all of this so I thought I'd ask you guys if I'm doing it right.

Basically, I now have an RGB controller to control a common anode(i think?) LED-strip...

Now I want to use the connection from my amp to my subwoofer to somehow control the power that goes to the LED-strip, as to make it 'blink'/dim to the bass.

My solution would now be to place a transistor in the "question mark-circle" from my drawing; connecting the base to the subwoofer-wire, the powersource from the RGB-controller to the collector and then the emitter to the LED-strip.

If this is the right way of doing it, my remaining questions are:
- Which transistor do I need?
- Do I need resistors?
- Can I use a pot or something to control sensitivity?

Drawing:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Size of transistor you need depends on the current load requirement of your LED strip. Try a 2N3904 or 2N4401 or 2N2222, any should be sufficient. You'll need to add a base resistor, start with a 1K ohm. I would start with a 1k pot between emitter and LED strip to control brightness of the LEDs - I think less brightness makes the flickering less apparent.

The LED-strip needs 300mA...
Would a BD677 transistor work just as well? Would be easier and cheaper too acquire for me :)

Many thanks :D

Your extremely simple circuit ignors the volume of the signal and needs an automatic level control.
Or all the LEDs will be turned on all the time when the radio plays loudly and all the LEDs will be turned off when the volume control is turned down a little.
Or you can fiddle with the volume control every time the music changes.

take the signal from audio out of the system instead of at subwoofer since intensity vary with volume, audio ouput stay stable at any volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back