Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Subwoofer processor help

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuee

Hi.
I have a 300wrms 18" speaker and a 400w rms module amp for a pa speaker.
I have built a box for the speaker to turn into a woofer and works well but im getting too much other frequencies out of it too.
The module has L+R rca input and Mic input. and the inside of the module must be already output to mono as it only has one speaker connection on the board.

My question is... is it possible to make a Subwoofer processor so i can adjust the frequency im after?
If so is there any schematics anyone knows i can follow to make one.

Thanks

There are a couple of ways to do this.
You can put a low pass filter before the amplifier so it only amplifies low frequencies. That would mean the amplifier is only for the sub woofer.
You can put a network in the speaker cabinet that filters out the high frequencies for the big speaker only. These are usually not adjustable, but regular speakers can still be run from the amp this way.
What is your favorite?

As ronv noted you can use a low-pass filter at the amp input. A single passive RC stage will give a 6dB octave rolloff of the high frequencies. A two-stage filter will give 12dB/octave. You could go to an active-filter to give a sharper roll-off at the corner frequency but I don't think you will hear much difference in this application.

Hi

Easiest way is to buy a low frequency crossover board and wire it in the speaker cabinet.
Making sure it the crossover specs match your application.

Here's a sample of one:

**broken link removed**

You can also make one using discrete passive components.

Easiest way is to buy a low frequency crossover board and wire it in the speaker cabinet.

But it's the crappiest way as well :D

He just wants an active low-pass filter between preamp and poweramp, by far the better option, and pretty easy as well.

There are plenty of details on the net, here's one example:

**broken link removed**

But it's the crappiest way as well :D

He just wants an active low-pass filter between preamp and poweramp, by far the better option, and pretty easy as well.

There are plenty of details on the net, here's one example:

**broken link removed**

:meh:

Why is it the crappiest way?

Worked fine for me when I used it...:cool:

It's the poorest level of filtering and wastes considerable power - only really used for passive subs, and when you don't have separate amps in order to do it properly.

Only waste considerable power if not applied properly. :smug:

I used this type of filter on my own PA subs (with Behringer Power Amps) and worked fine for me.

Anyway, It's an option, and an easy low cost option worth trying, may provide enough mid/high cut to satisfy the need without having to design active filter circuits....

eT

Hi

Making sure it the crossover specs match your application.

Here's a sample of one:

**broken link removed**

You can also make one using discrete passive components.
That one is only good to about 200 watts, One for 400 watts or more may cost a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back