Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Subtle illumination for boat deck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a boat that I would like to light with very low intensity light.

I would like to conceal whatever lights there are under the gunnels such that the light projects down onto the deck. The intensity needs to be just enought that one can see the deck and any obsticles. The purpose is that when night fishing that one can see enough without any harsh beam destroying ones eyes which have already adjusted to cope with the dark.

I guess these are my criteria / wishes / constraints.

- They need to be VERY energy efficient.
- I need two strings each "string" of lights will need to be about 4m long.
- I was anticpating using blue LED's as they give a nice peaceful effect. (These new high intensity LED's actually throw a lot of light I think that no more that a dozen would be required. The problem that the lighting would not be very even so one may want more to reduce the spacing to improve the lighting but then one would need to include for a dimmer.
- The supply would be a 12V lead acid.
- I have a long roll of flexible printed circuit material about 60mm wide (like that used to connect printer heads) that I was thinking could be a good starting point as the PCB.

If there are any lighting gurus out there it would be nice if you could assist.

Regards
Andrew

hi Andrew,

A Red background light is used at night, as its the colour that has the least effect on your night vision.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back