Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Substrate contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manuv16589

Hi friends,
basically substrate contacts are used to reduce substrate current says my text book. But i am not able to understand how it reduces it? Can somebody explain it?
Thanks in advance

It reduces parasitic structures, in particular parasitic NPN transistors that can cause latchup. These form over silicon isolated from the substrate by oxides.

If substrate current flows through the parasitic NPN structures generated in standard IC processes, it can cause latchup as duffy stated, so you want to shunt the current away from these structures. The substrate contacts provide a short path for these currents out of the substrate to minimize the occurrence of this latchup. I don't see how it would "reduce" substrate current, though.

^ Yes, I think they are stretching a point - the parasitic structures are in the substrate, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back