Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

substituting inductors and transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnmk

I am building a DC-DC converter using LT1952. However, the tranformer and inductor parts are not available. Please mention the parameters I need to consider when buying a substitute.

You try to match the characteristics of the selected devices as close as possible to those of the preferred devices.

For inductors this includes operating current, resistance, and inductance.

For transformers this includes power rating, turns ratio, saturation current, winding resistance, and primary inductance.

thank you crutchow.

however, here are some problem areas I still face:
the inductors/transformers I would like to use as a substitute dont have matching number of turns although they have the required inductance, DCR and other parameters.

A. Do I have to increase the number of turns?
B. If yes, How can i increase the number of turns without affecting other parameters?
C. Some of the inductors have fractional winding turns like 1:0.36. Please inform how to substitute these types of power magnetics?

thank you

I got one transformer that works from coilcraft:

my requirement: 240 W transformer with inductance of 480 uH; variable frequency operation (PA 0905 - Pulse Electronics)
available substitute: 140W transformer with inductance of 270 uH; variable frequency operation (PL 140-104L - coilcraft).
I am planning to join two of them in series to get double the inductance and power to meet my need.

Please advise if this is right/wrong.

You are mixing up the term "transformer" with "inductor." The resistance is also very important.
We have absolutely no idea what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back