Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stupid questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

strokedmaro

A TO-220 package has the metal "heatsink" with a hole in it. The metal tab is connected electrically to the drain of a MOSFET I want to use. I want to use 3 of them actually and was simply going to screw them to an aluminum or steel enclosure for cooling but If they are electrically connected, is that possible? The tab can also be soldered to a large ground pane type area as well right?? As long as the individual MOSFETS have their own isolated pads??? Ive also seen individual heat sinks you can attach to the tabs but what good would that do inside an enclosure??? Stupid questions I know....:eek:

A TO-220 package has the metal "heatsink" with a hole in it. The metal tab is connected electrically to the drain of a MOSFET I want to use. I want to use 3 of them actually and was simply going to screw them to an aluminum or steel enclosure for cooling but If they are electrically connected, is that possible? The tab can also be soldered to a large ground pane type area as well right?? As long as the individual MOSFETS have their own isolated pads??? Ive also seen individual heat sinks you can attach to the tabs but what good would that do inside an enclosure??? Stupid questions I know....:eek:

Hi,

You can get heatsink mounting kits which electrically 'isolate' the transistor/fet/etc from the heatsink whilst still conducting heat. I have seen 'silicon like' pads that go between the transistor and the heatsink, and plastic caps which prevent the screw/bolt from touching the heatsink.

Try looking here : **broken link removed**

Other suppliers may sell similar products, just search on google

Neil

Hi,

You can get heatsink mounting kits which electrically 'isolate' the transistor/fet/etc from the heatsink whilst still conducting heat. I have seen 'silicon like' pads that go between the transistor and the heatsink, and plastic caps which prevent the screw/bolt from touching the heatsink.

Try looking here : **broken link removed**

Other suppliers may sell similar products, just search on google

Neil

Pretty cool stuff.....Just wanted to make sure that thats how it is..THANKS!!

Hiya,

Just remember to make sure you don't cause a 'short' with the screw you use to fix the MOSFETs to the heatsink.

Ive also seen individual heat sinks you can attach to the tabs but what good would that do inside an enclosure???
The tabs dissipate the heat to the air in the enclosure. The air then circulates out of the enclosure, carrying away the heat. If the enclosure is sealed, then the air carries the heat to the enclosure walls which dissipates the heat to the outside air.

Also be aware that there are some thermal pads which are actually conductive.
Same size and shape as the insulating ones but made from a different material.
This can cause a lot of confusion if you are not aware that there are two types.
JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back