Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stupid FET Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how does this look? will these values work?

Attachments

• FET driver.JPG
    FET driver.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 267
Ok, loaded it into LTSpice, and it doesn't work.....

The 2N7000 triggers and causes a voltage drop to the gate of the P-FET, 12V down to 2V, but the current on the load goes up a little but doesn't drop to zero, IE, the P-FET is not switching off, (open circuit).....

Attachments

• LTSpice.JPG
    LTSpice.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Ok, loaded it into LTSpice, and it doesn't work.....

The 2N7000 triggers and causes a voltage drop to the gate of the P-FET, 12V down to 2V, but the current on the load goes up a little but doesn't drop to zero, IE, the P-FET is not switching off, (open circuit).....

Post you .asm file.

Here is a corrected version. You're P-FET was upside down. The P-FET in this simulation isn't sourcing enough current to drive the 6-ohm load. I'll investigate later what parameters to change. Maybe someone with more experience can model a better transistor.

Attachments

• Draft1[1].asc
    1 KB · Views: 141
2n7000

Pay attention that the 2N7000 N-MOS is not a logic-gate MOS so it may not turn on properly because its Vgs min.
But because of the current in its drain will be very low, maybe the circuit can work in every case.

The Vgs(th) is Min:0.8v Typ: 2.1V and Max: 3V (at 1ma).... Doesn't that make it within the criteria of a Logic Gate MOS?

The Vgs(th) of a Mosfet is when it is barely turned on. It is almost turned off.

When a 2N7000 Mosfet has a Vgs of only 0.8V to 3V then its minimum current is only 1mA.
If its Vgs is 4.5V then it conducts a little more.
When its Vgs is 10V then it conducts as much as is shown in its datasheet which is not much because it is a tiny little Mosfet.

A "logic level" mosfet is turned on very well with a Vgs of 4.5V.

Here is your circuit with a reasonable device chosen for the PMOS. The bigger device gives you the results you want. I don't really know anything about this device, I just picked it from a list by picking the lowest Rds(on) of the devices listed. You just need to find a device capable of driving your 6 ohm load. You only need to pour over alot of specs, and find the lowese Rds(on) and sufficient wattage. I'll leave that part up to you.

Attachments

• Draft1[1].asc
    1.1 KB · Views: 123
  • PMOSdriver.JPG
    PMOSdriver.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 289
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back