Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stun gun reliability and discharges??

Status
Not open for further replies.

risky22

Hi,
Before I ask my questions, just want to say that this is a great forum with a LOT of knowledge inside it. Just searching answered alot of questions.

Ok, here it goes. I bought a stun gun, supposedly rated at "500,000" volts. But heres the question, in order to make the gun last, I should always discharge it by shorting the two electrodes, right? If I do not do this, will it just discharge onto itself or just make the caps work overtime leading to failure?
Also, about the arcing. Why is it so bad to "arch" the gun. Whats actually happening internally?I've tried looking for these answers, but I cant find specifics on the internal workings of the unit. I found alot of schematics, but they dont explain why certain things happen and why its there.

The reason I ask is not only to know, but because I tried to mod a camera flash circuit into a stun gun and for some reason it died. Basically, I didnt hear that oscillator whine any more. (Shorted transformer?)
So I dont want to same happening with this thing.
Thanks for explaining all this fellas-ladies!!!!!!

I don't have any concrete knowledge on this sort of thing, but it seems to me that it would be better if you didn't discharge it. Discharging it is the same thing as "arcing" the gun, as the arc is just the taser discharging over the air. This is bad for the capacitor (the thing that stores the electricity), as 500,000 volts short-circuiting is probably going to break something.

xenoxion said:
I don't have any concrete knowledge on this sort of thing, but it seems to me that it would be better if you didn't discharge it. Discharging it is the same thing as "arcing" the gun, as the arc is just the taser discharging over the air. This is bad for the capacitor (the thing that stores the electricity), as 500,000 volts short-circuiting is probably going to break something.

I've never seen many, as they are seriously illegal in the UK, but those I have seen (both in person, and on the TV) are all designed to arc over - they even have extra electrodes designed for that very purpose.

BTW, it takes 10,000V to arc 1cm in dry air (less in wet or humid air), so with the spark gap about 10cm you're looking at 50,000V - but at very low current.

There is No Way that your Stun Gun Actually Produces 500,000 Volts. That a Theoritical Voltage assuming the output was totally open circuit. Do you have any Idea How much insulation and distances would be required for that kind of voltage? Never in a Hand Held Unit. The Spark Gap on it controls the output voltage to a reasonable level, Thus avoiding instantly burning out the output transformer.

Shorting the output on most stun guns isn't the best thing, but shouldn't hurt it either. When you put this in Direct Contact with a person, it is Almost a total short as Skin Resistance at even 1000 volts is VERY LOW.

Take care.....Gary

hey, thanks for replies.

I know that 500,000 volts is BS.
I just want to know if its safe to short is out like that. The manufacturer says make sure you short the electrodes, but im afraid it might do more damage than making the gun safe to handle.

So if I widen the spark gap, that might not be a good idea as I may fry the transformer?

Would putting a 1M resistor across the electrodes be a less damaging way of discharging it?

thanks again.!!

The only reason they would tell you to short it out is to discharge it after you have shut it off. Thus avoiding shocking your self. If that is the case, You definately need Not worry about damaging it.

Besides I Extremely doubt they would tell you anything that would Purposely damage there product. It would give them a Bad Reputation

Some typical stun gun schematics (I Designed these, but they are Typical of Commerical designs) and other info on these devices can be found on my website Projects Area at: **broken link removed**

Take care.........Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back