Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Structural insulated panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi
i am trying to build a medium sized gas/electric oven for my old mum.
To prevent temperature fluctuation (escape of heat), i want use a structural insulated panel 'SIP' made from two aluminium /metal sheets with a styrofoam sandwiched in the middle.I want an adhesive which can hold the two aluminium sheets and the styrofoam very well.Does anyone know of any glue which can perform this task very well.I have not tried this stuff.
Please help me out.

Kwame

Styrofoam? Really? Are you sure you want to subject your "old mum" to possibly toxic gases from heated polystyrene?

I think you want some other kind of insulation there, like fiberglass or some other kind of mineral insulation. You know, the kind of stuff they actually use in stoves.

Kwame, you are setting yourself up for one hell of a project. especially considering you want to use either gas or electric. Actually I think the least of your worries would be the bonding materials used.

I strongly agree with carbonzit in that your mentioned choice of insulating thermal material is not a good choice, matter of fact it is very bad! Not going to work. Next, ovens we cook food in are not a sealed insulated box. They do vent which is why food cooking in them has wonderful aromas escape.

Personally I would suggest you find an old discarded oven and bring it back to life. You could name it Lazarus the Oven. The oven that came back from the dead.

That failing, you could start a Google for high temperature insulation in a non-toxic flavor. Then high temperature bonding materials. The insulation must be a material that when used at cooking temperatures will not, as in not, out gas toxic fumes!

Anyway, find a scrap or junk oven and hack it apart to see the construction up close and personal. :)

Ron

I worked in this industry. You want fiber glass with a rating that will be of the same value as what is used in self cleaning ovens.

With that said. I agree building an oven over purchasing one is........... cost vs time and the material cost doubled.

An oven that you could restore is the way to go. Self Cleaning is even better. Most Gas ovens or Electric "new" are probably cheaper than the restoration if you can't find the parts locally at wholesale. Used or New.

Last: Styrofoam ? No damn way for my mom or me or him or her or....... you get the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back