Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Strengthening RF Signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Jones

I would like to know, how you can strengthen RF signals coming from devices that would normally only send their messages up to a couple feet away:confused:.

Increase the RF power output from the transmitter.
Get a more sensitive receiver
Put a directional (gain) antenna on either the transmitter, the receiver, or both.

Generally speaking modifying any portion of an RF circuit (even the antenna) will make the device technically illegal. In the US for example an RF device is certified WITH the antenna, so custom antenna can invalidate a devices FCC certification.

Many simple FM transmitters have a range that is only across the street. If they are built poorly then they might transmit only a couple of feet to a cheap garbage radio.

The worst transmiters I have seen are the ones to transmit FM from your MP3 player. Andy

Dr. Jones; Thay may be things to help depending on the device. What sort of device do you need help with? Andy

The worst transmiters I have seen are the ones to transmit FM from your MP3 player. Andy
Rohm make a line of FM stereo transmitters that have pretty good spec's. Most good products use them.

Provide more details on what devices, frequencies, and what kind of messages. Depending on answer, you could be looking at better antenna, amplifying at the receiver end, amplifier at the transmitter end, more DC bias at the transmitter end, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back