Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

aibelectronics

This is quite strange, but I actually accessed my parallel port on windows xp without relying on any external dll!? It works just fine. Is there a contradiction somewhere...?
If it would be informative, I'm using Turbo C.

As you are obviously aware, Windows NT (which XP basically is!) won't allow direct access - HOWEVER you can get programs which install on your PC that will allow it, I'm not talking a DLL that your program uses (like WinPicProg uses), but a transparent program installed seperately.

Presumably you have such a program installed?, possibly something that required it did the installation and you don't even know?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
As you are obviously aware, Windows NT (which XP basically is!) won't allow direct access - HOWEVER you can get programs which install on your PC that will allow it, I'm not talking a DLL that your program uses (like WinPicProg uses), but a transparent program installed seperately.

Presumably you have such a program installed?, possibly something that required it did the installation and you don't even know?.
yes i have seen a program like u said when i searched for h/w access in NT.
it runs in background and allows other exe to access the h/w as in win98

Nigel Goodwin said:

I'll like to assume that. Otherwise I could go all over the internet debunking this windows xp restriction theories!!

Re: reply

aibelectronics said:
Nigel Goodwin said:

I'll like to assume that. Otherwise I could go all over the internet debunking this windows xp restriction theories!!

I can assure you, as someone who supports a program that has to access the ports (WinPicProg) that all NT Windows versions don't allow it - WinPicprog had to be re-written to use a DLL for NT (way back before XP).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back