Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Strange parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

spicydeath82

hi, i've been encountering these strange parts in certain electronics. they look like a diode but have to resistance in either direction at all, and have no marking on them at all. they kinda look like a ferrite bead epoxied onto a jumper. is this some sorta way to have jumpers that eliminate a bit of electrical interference or something? just curious.

Do you have a picture?

Does sound rather like a ferrite bead over a jumper. It's just an easy way to wire a ferrite bead into a PCB circuit wherever you want some high frequency filtering. They are typically used to filter EMI, and to prevent high frequency oscillations in certain types of amplifier circuits.

sure here's a pic. the top ones i was sure were ferrite chokes i believe, but it was the bottom ones i'm iffy on.
SANY1608.JPG

Yes, the top ones are chokes wound on (likely) ferrite toroid cores. The smaller ones are ferrite beads.

koo. i thought so but wasn't sure. might be useful if i were to make a game controller using the game port since from what i understand the electrical interference can mess with the signals the computer receives, IE phantom button presses and the like. i had a cheap controller that did that, when i tore it apart there was no ferrite chokes or beads any where. i'm sure it would have benefited from some... lol.

Yes, the top ones are chokes wound on (likely) ferrite toroid cores. The smaller ones are ferrite beads.

I guess the smaller ones are plastic beads for zero Ohm resistors instead of wire jumps. :)

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back