Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Strange Component

Status
Not open for further replies.

aibelectronics

Hullo!
I was working today on a panel when I came across two strange components. One was described brusquely as: SIC.47 630V 10% IND.ARG and the other too wasn't as informative: SKVA 20B250.

I understand the latter to be a capacitor when I did a quick Google. However Google had only one page to show which was in Spanish (or something like that): www.yoreparo.com/foros/electronica_industrial/182790.html - 22k
I suspect the other to be a thermistor (or a capacitor as well).

How do you guys interprete component values when you open a your commercial electronics? How do you identify the device? Glad if you can give me a tip on the above. Thanks!

Many electronic products are so cheap today that nobody fixes them when they fail. They throw it away and buy a newer, better (?), cheaper one.

Where will you find information (datasheets) for Chinese parts?

aibelectronics said:
Hullo!
I was working today on a panel when I came across two strange components. One was described brusquely as: SIC.47 630V 10% IND.ARG .......

Thas component is (was?) a mylar capacitor.

SIC was the manufacturer (circa 1970?)
.47 (dot 47) means 0.47 :mu: F
630 V is the working DC voltage
10 % the tolerance
IND.ARG ("Industria Argentina") means Made in Argentina

This is not some cheap electronic product. It is a battery charger panel, charging some a large array of batteries. The work that occupied me for most of today.

aibelectronics said:
Gee thanks! How did they expect someone to figure that out?! :)

Not sure if the smiley means you were joking or not - but if you can't tell that 0.47 630V is a capacitor I don't think you should be trying to repair things?.

One answer about how we identify oddball parts is, like in so many trades, experience. Oftentimes we have simply seen the item before, or something very similar.

Nigel Goodwin said:
- but if you can't tell that 0.47 630V is a capacitor I don't think you should be trying to repair things?.

Maybe.

Capacitor was my thought, but the IND ARG and SIC part made me wondering. Experience is the trick I guess as Ron kindly advised. Thanks

To make this MUCH easier, lets answer some very simple questions:

How many Leads/pins?
Size?
Color (may help, don't know)
A picture?
Shape?

If we can answer these, it will be much easier to trouble shoot.

I've identified the component (SKVA 20B250) from the equipment manual - It was denoted as: varistores de proteccion V250LA15A, i.e a varistor for some sort of protection. I believe the V250 indicates it shunts the circuit when transient voltage reach 250V.

At one point I thought I was dealing with a PTC thermistor for overcurrent protection. The situation is now getting a suitable replacement from the market.

Watch out!
A "varistores de protecccion" is made for use in France I think.
It blows up if anybody speaks English near it. Hee, hee.

My wife and a few other Canadians are from Spain. I know a Mexican guy here but he isn't a Canadian yet. I know a woman here from Chile. I have seen some Spanish restaurants in Canada.

Only 15.8% of Canadians are French. They hide in Quebec away from English speaking Canadians. They are weird people. The government made all of Canada bi-lingual to keep them happy.

The SKVA 20b250 is a 250v 20k varistor. Am I the only person who thought to use Google to translate the Spanish site?:rolleyes:

blueroomelectronics said:
I'm voting for Audioguru for prime minister. :)
Thanks, but I can't speak French. I learned French in school about 48 years ago but I never spoke it so I forgot it. Canada is bi-lingual so the Prime Minister must be able to blab in French.

I think the government should get rid of taxes. Then it should send all the weirdos who immigrated here back to where they came from. Maybe send the French people to their own planet. With the weirdos. They can have fun blowing themselves up.

Vancouver is full of hippies and pot smokers. They are too old to be hippies but they don't think so. Send them to another planet.

audioguru said:
Thanks, but I can't speak French. I learned French in school about 48 years ago but I never spoke it so I forgot it. Canada is bi-lingual so the Prime Minister must be able to blab in French.

I think the government should get rid of taxes. Then it should send all the weirdos who immigrated here back to where they came from. Maybe send the French people to their own planet. With the weirdos. They can have fun blowing themselves up.

Vancouver is full of hippies and pot smokers. They are too old to be hippies but they don't think so. Send them to another planet.

There are a lot of things I wish our politicians were required to know that don't involve language. They can afford an interpreter. Straight talk is one area where I'd say you definitely have the upper hand.

When I lived in Vancouver people who would visit would alway be surprised that you couldn't walk around for an afternoon without going through a few clouds of pot smoke on the sidewalk. At least the gangsters mostly only shoot each other. Can we put them on the same spaceship?

Torben

When I moved from Vancouver to Toronto, all the hippies and gangsters in Toronto went to Vancouver. I missed all the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back